Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find of a lifetime

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VA HAMB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. oz40

oz40

Hi Todd
    Congrats on the find and your plans for the future for the old girl.
    Enough has been said about the trucks restoration, but has the wife RESTORED her faith in you.?
    oz40

2. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

i am 99 % sure i was next to that truck at the jalopy showdowns the first year they had it. and the motor was in it. it also had a flip book of old pics

3. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Yep, That was me.

4. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I am sorry to hear this. My wife would be dancing a gig.
    What a great find.
    I say restore it the 63 era!

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That truck is cool the way it is..but...I would restore it to a new life because all the cool colors from that era really do it justice. If not you could leave it and build a strong clone and run the fuck out of it.

6. Gasserdriver

Gasserdriver

Drilled visors have been around for a long time. I drilled the visor of a model A sedan in 1961.

There were quite a few model A's running around this area with drilled visors that I can remember as early as 1958.

Great find but if you restore it with new paint and lettering and if your not very careful who does it the car will have the look of being purpose built.

Try to save the original petina while enhanceing the original paint and don't change a thing except for safety's sake.

Great find and I have really enjoyed following this thread.

Fred

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

thank you, thank you very much.

8. I haven't visited this thread in a while... just checking in and glad to see your still going to restore it to as raced condition.

You could always pick up another pair of doors for the rebuild and show off the originals with the truck... just a thought.

P.S. Do you know the "Helbert" family btw...? Eli is a whitewaterpaddlin' buddy of mine from the same neck of the woods as you. I'll have to check out their families barn next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. Well, I just spent a most enjoyable hour and a half reading this whole thread. Great stuff, fantasic barn find. Amazing history. My two cents, if the boy were in better shape as has been stated I would say, just do the mechanicals. Seeing as there is so much rust and rot as Todd has said, then restore it to it's former glory, just don't over do it, as also mentioned.
    It great to see another piece of history brought back to life for us to enjoy again and for the youth to see what it was really like back in the early 60s.
    BTW, Good luck in your new home and new garage.

10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[P.S. Do you know the "Helbert" family btw...? Eli is a whitewaterpaddlin' buddy of mine from the same neck of the woods as you. I'll have to check out their families barn next time I'm in the neighborhood.[/quote]

The name does'nt ring a bell. If you're ever down this way stop by.

Thanks RANDOMRODDER. They start digging holes for the garage today.

11. oj

oj

There's a mess of good stuff in this old valley. Great find.

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Just an update for anyone that might be interested.

Well the garage is about finished and the truck is in place. Mr. Morris called me last week and is planning on coming up to see the truck in person for the first time in 41 years!!
    Yes... I am going to photograph the visit and post them ASAP>

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

way cool! I forgot about this find until you brought it back up!

Cant wait!

14. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

SO COOL.
    Try and keep the lettering and color. SWEET find. Take your wife out for dinner. Enjoy. Slim

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm definetly interested!

16. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

17. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Found out about the steering wheel. Its off of a Panzer tractor. They were made in waynesboro, VA through the 60's. Jim worked there while he was building the truck and helped himself to the wheel.

Attached Files:

18. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Oh great! Now the Panzer tractor steering wheel Ive been watching on Ebay is going to shoot through the roof!!! LOL Thanks!

19. keep the patina, document the truck and you've got a real priceless antique

20. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I saw that truck in Traditional Rod & Culture magazine

21. White Monster

White Monster

Fix it up, sure ... but keep that patina !
    Bitchin' !!

22. Wow, simply amazing! What a BEAUTY!!

23. HotRod33

HotRod33

restore the mechanicals and drive the piss out of it.....

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What a great piece of history that you have !
    I vote to leave it along as an original !
    It looks to be in real good condition .
    Great find !

25. jessechop

jessechop

Anything new on this? Was trying to explain this in a post last night but I couldnt put into words what I was talking about! I have a 30 P/U that may get a similar treatment shortly

26. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Nothing new yet. My garage is almost completed. Should start on it early Fall. When I do I will start a new thread.

27. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Ok I hope I don't get in trouble for this but I'm going to bump this thread 'cus I have to know what's going on with this truck. Killer find and I vote for the resto to what it was in its heyday! (I think that's how you spell that!) My dad and I have a '32 pickup and we've talked about building it a lot like this one. Thanks for the great documentation and let us all know how it turns out!

28. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Good time to ask,
    I completed my garage last week and will be moving the truck over from "bay3" to the finished "bay1" as soon as today. The truck will be receiving a complete overhaul. Sorry to the patina lovers! Its in just too bad of shape to keep as is. I have had plenty of time to change my mind but its made up now.
    Jim Morris called me Monday and was giving me some more info. He loves to talk about the truck. I am having a garage open house party with some buds on Nov. 7th. Mr. Morris is on the "maybe" list to show. I hope he does. That will make for some great story telling time. If anyone is close come on by for a beer and a first hand look.

29. carpenter gone wild

carpenter gone wild
    from ct

Sweet!!! If the wife really doesn't like it you can always get divorced. Just kidding, good luck with it what ever you do with it.

30. Idlzruf

Idlzruf

Wow you lucky dog. I cant wait to see it finished.