Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn find----not ((1933 chrysler))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33mopower, Mar 9, 2009.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I'll have go along with the don't hack it up crowd but if the engine is a good one a dual carb manifold wouldn't hurt.

2. Just drive it, there is no need to fuck with it

3. Joatha

Joatha

I'm one that is in favor of doing whatever you want to a car. But, even I will stop and respect what a car is and try to use that in forming what a car should be. And, that car is a very nice (albeit not perfect) period correct car. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone.

FWIW, I have a 66 Barracuda that was just a really really nice unmolested original (although somewhat disassembled) when I got it. I put new paint on it (it needed that) and reassembled it (didn't have to touch the interior) and am driving it as an original car. It deserves that. I have a 68 Barracuda convertible that was a rust bucket basket case pulled out of a cow pasture. It is getting the resto-mod treatment and is being put together exactly how I want it with little regard to how it came from the factory. And my 30 Model A is a complete mess and will be a hot rod put together to my specs.

Some cars deserve to stay original. Some don't. I think this one deserves to stay original. At the end of the day though, its your car. Do what you want.

4. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

leave it alone!

5. You're kidding, right??? Why would you take this car, which has plenty of power both to drive and stop in today's traffic, and screw it up by putting in a modern engine/trans? Jeez, what you want to do to that Chrysler is like doing the same thing to a Duesenberg or a Cord of the same vintage! Some cars are meant to go the resto-rod route with, and this Chrysler is NOT one of those! Especially with the rarity and desirability of that particular body style!

Normally, I'm all for having an owner do whatever. But, cars like this don't just grow on trees. Leave it alone! Or, sell it to someone who likes it as it is and find another!

If you absolutely, positively feel the need to hack this treasure up, at least go with a Mopar drivetrain all the way! Leave the SBC 350/350 out of it, for God's sake! Put THAT in that car, and all you'll have is another ^^&&^(%$*-ing street rod.

6. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

I'd have to agree!

7. Elrod

Elrod

One of the reasons my Ford cabriolet is staying stock and I rodded the coupe and roadster. You just don't see many cabriolets of any make from that era.

8. I'd leave it and drive it. :cool: Probably lower it a bit. That's all.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Even though I'm not for cutting it up, if you do, here's how to do it right........

We met these folks on power tour a few years ago, and this is the most beautifully modified early chrysler I've ever seen. Along with retaining a huge amount of originality, the modifications were all mopar. It really was/is a special car

[​IMG]

Now here's the icing on the cake. The owner heard about a NOS crate 426 wedge coming up for sale at a university's surplus auction. Donated to the college and never used, getting sold with a poor description...... Don't ya love to see rare jewels like that find a proper jewelry case? Anyway, just a good example of how far it'd have to go before most would say you did the right thing. Good luck!

[​IMG]

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's a nice sedan, but unfortunately the sidemount Radials are an eyesore.

That cabrio is really nice. But if you can't enjoy it, what good is it? If it was up to me I would suggest some kind of mopar drivetrain, a dropped axle, some big and little bias tires and a real effort to keep everything modern very stealthy.

11. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I would rent this one out to movie production companies.
    It looks like a short wheel base car. The model CO they made 677 and the model CT they only made 539. Leave this rare survivor stock or at least make it so any modifications can be reversed .
    GREAT CAR

12. lol, take a photo for posterity and then cut it up. add blown hemi and your good to go!

13. Boy, that car is nice just the way it is. I guess it all depends what you want to do with it - if you just want to take it out and enjoy and old car once in a while, there's no reason to change it, but if you want to really drive it and drive the wheels off, then I can see an updated motor, trans, and brakes. But I personally wouldn't do anything that couldn't be un-done down the road.

But if it will fit in there, I'd say go Hemi if you have to go V8. Preferrably a 331, 354, or 392.

14. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I'd go with most Folks here,but why not update the rear end on new springs so she sits a touch lower and better brakes on the front (discs, but even rear Drums from a big Mopar with Ford Finned Drums from a Galaxie or what ever)
    and a big fully dressed Chrysler Straight 6 flathead or 8 . A modern trans hidden away with decent recirculating ball steering box and it would be 1950's all over gain.

15. 33mopower

33mopower

If anything gets cut it's only going to be the firewall. But thanks for the input

16. 33mopower

33mopower

You must be kidding? Just kill me already then.

17. 33mopower

33mopower

Ok I guess I need to clear a few things up. I do know what this car is worth It cost 24,000 dollars. That being said if a restorer wanted it he could have paid more for it. Shifty Shifterton seems to know mopars and the style. One man personifies mopar resto rods and his name is Al Engel. If you have have not seen his cars check out Rodder's Journal issue 21 page 70. I will change the drivetrain, suspension, and tires but thats it. I even like the paint scheme. I am a bodyman so I won't be able to live with it long and it will have a arrow straight paintjob within a couple years. Motors--Big hemis are out of the question because I will not blister the hood sides or run it without them. A vintage looking baby hemi or maybe a poly will be the likely
    choices. The pictures make the car look nice but when you see the car in person it's sad. Sad to see it in such depressed shape. This is the second drop top I have owned and the first one was too complete and I didn't have the heart to rod it so I sold it to a restorer who did like a 7 point restoration. Nice until you get real close and look. It was a 1930 Chrysler model 77 roadster. I also bought a 33 desoto 4 door sedan that I was going to part out for my coupe. The car was too nice and I didn't have the heart to cut it up so I have tried to sell it to a restorer(or even someone that likes it the way it is) to no avail. I appreciate all the input Russ

18. ehdubya

ehdubya

That sounds like a nice car, power steer?

Why would you use one of those over a 4.0 Jeep? Neither are HAMBy but for the Webers and one is cheap and plentiful.

19. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Sounds like a good plan to me.When i rodded my old 1934 Airflow people thought i was nuts until they saw it after it was running.Please keep the motor and trans Mopar.360 Magnum and 518 trans would make a great highway cruiser and you shouldn't have to cut anything.

20. 33mopower

33mopower

This car is ugly ugly ugly. Now I am not against radials but they are too wide and short for my tastes. Also 16" wheels look better. You can run radial fendermounts if you have the spare tire covers otherwise they must be bias ply in the stock wheel wells. Bra's do more damage than they protect from. That motor is so many ways from ugly that I don't know where to even start. Though it is a cool motor.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I was just about to jump in here to agree not to touch it, but this is different. If you bought that for 24K, I'd have to assume that it isn't that nice. If this is one of those type of restos that looks good in a picture but looks like shit up close, then I don't see it as a shame to change it.

If it was mine, I'd do it up according to Great Race rules, which would mean modern brakes and shocks, overdrive, modernized electricals, basically rally prepped but using the original engine and appearing to be completely original externally, including the wheels. It's wild watching cars with 30 horsepower and chain drive going 4500 miles in 3 weeks. I personally think a late model small block engine and big/little tires would look lame on a car like this.

22. have to agree with that -GOOD LUCK WITH IT !!!

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Change 6 wheels and ditch the power tour bra and it'd move alot closer to the HAMB center. But I tell ya, that car dripped elegance and precision build with mopar stuff instead of speedy bill stuff. You may not wanna set your car up to be modern road tripper like that one, but if it doesn't drip elegance in a similar fashion, the mark's been missed.

Good luck!

24. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

In my opinion it would be impossible to improve on that car, I would not touch it, I think it would be a huge shame to change teh car, there are so few original cars left like that, you can find an incomplete one to cut and rod. Jim

25. kenny g

kenny g

You have ruined my whole day.

26. 33mopower

33mopower

I could always build it like this.

[​IMG]

Though I like that car better this way.

[​IMG]

Here is a good picture that shows how bad this car is.

[​IMG]

Here the dash. The drivers side glove box door(not really a glove box door I know) is missing and they tacked a piece of metal over the hole and painted over it.

[​IMG]

The only other major change is I want to build a dash thats recessed into the cowl that looks like this one(otherwise known as a roadster dash).

[​IMG]

Here is the color scheme I like. Classy?

[​IMG]

27. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

[​IMG]
    Stunning! and if you obtain modern tires in that profile it would really look the part. Looks like the rear of the body is leaning over to the drivers side at bit.

28. You're definitely headed in the right direction in my humble opinion. I too ride that fence of rod or restore when it comes to the really 'rare' and georgous cars but it's hard to argue against an update done right while retaining the 'classy' in the car.

I'm still searching for a pic that I can scan and load of one Uncle T's three '33 cabriolets. He built all three the same-super straight solid black with black tops, beige interiors, making improvements to each as he built them. Can't believe my own blood relative and I can't seem to find a single pic that I can scan. No doubt though, if you two haven't already talked, you guys would have alot to talk about.

If this pic loads you can recognize a 33 in there but not sufficient to see how nice the car is. This was #2. #3 is currently in build stage.

Attached Files:

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You're gonna do that car right. Be sure to keep us posted.

Their roadster wrap is a neat feature, I wanted it exaggerated to a hot rod level. From inside the car it feels like you're going fast.

[​IMG]

BTW that beautifully classy 3W coupe you're going to emulate is the same color combo as the ugly ugly ugly car. :) Change 6 wheels per owner taste and..........

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009