Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

There is a mid/late 50's vintage corvette in my town parked in someone's driveway....year round! No cover either.
    Open cockpit! Been like that for years. Makes me cringe every time I drive by. There's a sign at the end of the driveway that says something to the effect, "no trespassing, stay away, not for sale". What a shame. I would love to have one and would treat it way better than that.

Yours is coming along nicely!

Stogy, Thor1, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

A: I can’t believe you have a vintage Vette! A cool one at that.
    B: You are doing awesome and I love the entire ordeal going on.
    C: Buddies dad has a 56 or 7, I can’t remember, he concurred, sunlight and time will get the top there.
    D: Don’t need a 100#s of oil dry it’s not a Harley, ask me how I know.
    E: How long before the Chevelle’s hot 327 spends some time in the engine bay? It’s just lying around now after all.

3. Doug, is that one of the "twins"? I bet it'll come out great!!!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. The 327 is long gone. I wont alter this car. Its staying stock. Its cool as is. Sometimes less is more.

WC145, OahuEli, 32SEDAN and 8 others like this.
  5. I don't see any mention of "trespassers will be shot" so ... grab your pair of 'oblongs' from the wife's purse :p, take a quick shower and shave (you, not the oblongs), a nice bottle of 'jolly juice', some running shoes (very important :p) and give it a go :D;)

WC145, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

LOL...It might say that, I dont know. I'm too scared to get any closer! hahaha

loudbang, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  7. AmishMike

AmishMike

Ok, I’ll ask…. What r oblongs in the wife’s purse???

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  8. I went to the farm to look at more cars. The 66 Pontiac Ventura is a four door; four speed 421 tri power. Thats a rare car. It will be hard to get it out of there. The upper floor partially collapsed on it. Next to it is a early 40s pontiac. The plymouth appears to be a early 40s model. Im trying to figure out how to get the ventura out of there. Im stopping back there this weekend. I want to get the vin off of the 66. Pontiac historical will tell me what it is. 20210831_153017.jpg 20210831_153210.jpg 20210831_145320.jpg 20210831_145212.jpg

WC145, OahuEli, VANDENPLAS and 16 others like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

We had a 39 plymouth coupe like that years ago....

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the Plymouth is a 39...:rolleyes:...beat by the Squirrel...that is not uncommon around here...:D

American pickers @racer-x style...definately some goodies there to wet the whistle a little...

11. They said the chain is still on the 39s front bumper from the day the tractor dragged it to its resting place. The place is a cross between a cool old junk yard and a movie set for a horror movie. Meat hooks every were along with other creepy farm stuff. I missed out on the 66 yellow vette that was in the front barn. Cool stuff.

12. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Do you know any of details about the 66 yellow Corvette?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    41 GMC K-18, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Careful and don't forget to look over your shoulder...maybe Hoffas in the trunk...:eek:

I was at a place the other day with a dumpster out front being filled with varied scrap metal from a cluttered farm, my cousin went to inquire if they might consider selling anything and I thought we might be facing a Shotgun...it didn't go well...very cranky man...it's to bad, the barn was Victorian brick with tons of multi paned windows...I was thinking it was a vintage business at one time building or fixing who knows what and for all I knew it may be full of vintage cars...that's what I was curious about, but hanging around here I know sometimes the smelter wins...

But at least you've be given an okay to peruse amongst the rust...

Many collectors are pretty eccentric and have to be approached with extreme caution or the magic combination of gab...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That has to be on someones gotta find "holy grail" car list!

OahuEli, racer-x, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  15. noboD

noboD

If that's a four door hardtop that would be killer.

41 GMC K-18, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^^^ & I guess some find them in the wife’s purse…. Good laugh. Tks

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lorena Bobbitt maybe!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

:confused:---------------------------:eek:

Hemiman 426, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  19. The yellow vette was the sisters car. The car was parked in the front of the house. Too many people were stopping to look at it so it was moved to one of the barns. It was completely covered in heavy cardboard with the windows up. The guy that purchased the car for 12,500 is now in very bad health. Im looking into that one. The farmers stay in contact with the new owner.
    My Pontiac buddy says the Ventura is a optioned out Catalina. Its not a Bonniville. That was top of the line. He said any 66 Ventura is a rare car period. To have a 421/ 4spd is super rare. We are both planning to go back this weekend to get the door open. We want the vin number. The door was locked but i did see keys hanging from the trunk lock. Its a very dangerous situation with the building falling down. The dealer plate while broken was on the trunk. Schaefer Pontiac was on Washington Rd in Racine Wi. Between 11th and 12th st. That would have been a 15 minute drive from the farm. 20210831_144725.jpg 20210831_153132.jpg

WC145, OahuEli, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  20. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Any chance the 421 & 4 speed in the Ventura is a transplant?

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. Believe me when I say that I am no neat freak but I can't imagine anyone letting a mess get to this point o_O

I get it, if they were neat freaks that Pontiac would have hit the crusher years ago but still ... the mess in this pic is just shocking.
    [​IMG]

WC145, alfin32, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hee hee he...yes quite the playground...steel toes AND shanks required...I sure hope the block had antifreeze in it...and it's far from a dry state as well...

VANDENPLAS, 41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  24. This farm has been in the same family since the mid 1800s. Only the daughter remains to keep it going. She is in her 70s. On top of that she lost her right arm at the shoulder in a farming accident years ago. She cant keep up. She finally decided to sell the place. Development has crept in on two sides. The farm is worth alot for the acreage. Thats why these cars are for sale. They were all regular family cars. A 50s pontiac i came across she told me stories of hauling a baby calf in the back seat of it. The ventura was the same way. They drove them until they stopped running. They were not swapping engines. They were parked on the property because you never knew if you were going to need something. Depression era thinking at its finest. They didnt throw out anything and it shows.

WC145, OahuEli, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Man I really hope you get that Ventura!!! And the vette!!
    Wish i could be there to help, looks like fun.

WC145, Stogy, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  26. If anyone needs some ducks; chickens or cows they need to go to. The bull cant be taken by the normal truck because its too big they said. Its huge. Im going to do everything in my power to get that pontiac.

Stogy, Thor1, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  27. As much as i want to go full speed on the vette i have to slow down. You have to be very careful dealing with people like this. They dont like strangers and they dont want to feel like someone is going to rip them off.

WC145, OahuEli, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

I'd really love to read the PHS paperwork on that Pontiac if you can get it. Pictures like those above are pretty familiar to me around here in Wisconsin, and you're very right about dealing with families like this. They do not want to be pushed. Slow and steady, with a healthy dose of respect for the history of whatever it is you're interested in. Everyone should be given that courtesy anyway, but seems a lot of buyers don't know how to keep their mouths shut or keep from poking around in places that aren't wanted to be poked in.

OahuEli, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 8 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine would wear a pair of bib overalls when he approached people about buying a car.

WC145, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49

This story gets more interesting by the day, good luck with your future purchases.