Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Money has no value, unless its spent "
    Indeed you have spent your money very well on some great cars, bravo on the element of hooking up the heat to the floor, you wont regret it !

Thor1, rlsteel, Algoma56 and 5 others like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's not being cheap, that is priorities on what to spend the money on!

Thor1, X-cpe, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one of the smartest things you could have done, you'll love it. My brother in law did the tubes and in-floor heat when he built his 40' x 60' shop, he has an electrically heated boiler that runs off peak and it's really cheap to heat. He did snow removal as a side gig for a few years and when he opened the commercial size garage doors running tractors and equipment in and out the inside shop temp would drop maybe a few degrees even in the dead of winter.
    Wish I would have had the foresight to do that when I built my own garage.
    Love this Vette project and the stories you're posting, thanks for taking us along!

Thor1, Stogy, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  4. You will not regret using heat this winter. Since adding a furnace to Dad's garage our winter productivity has doubled over working with space heaters. You seem to have no problem with motivation, but those cold winter days will be much easier to get started when you have a comfortable work temperature.

Thor1, Stogy, racer-x and 4 others like this.
  5. I might splurge and turn it up to 45 degrees. I can work in that. I will feel spoiled. I have parts to buy. I cant be out burning money sending dollars up the chimney. Now burning money sending it out the zoomies is a completely different thing.

WC145, Thor1, 40FORDPU and 6 others like this.
  6. My shop is 36x80. The heated area is 36x50 plus a 22x22 office area. The rest is cold storage. I have the pink Styrofoam underneath the concrete. Menards has the complete set ready to go. Its wall mounted. A friend works with high dollar mills. They are cooled with anti freeze. They cant take a chance on the freezing. He gave me several 30 gallon drums. My system will use one. If anyone needs some come get it. I have given away several already.

WC145, Thor1, Bmac40Ply and 4 others like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess your day job is a cold place to work.

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, a heated garage, may have to look into that...

Thor1, Chucky, racer-x and 4 others like this.
  9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Just hope it’s not where they stored the arm in its jar.

Thor1, Stogy, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Damn Wisconsin people are tough. I hate getting the mail when it’s 45 out.

WC145, Thor1, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Look up the snow mobile ice drag racers. They go through tons of antifreeze in racing season, using it to cool the tread belt.

Thor1, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Guys think drag racing is crazy. I think going out to a frozen lake and getting run over by spiked tires cant be too much fun. It is something to see i have to say that. You need alot of schnops to stay warm spectating at one of those events.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Thor1, impala4speed, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. The exhaust is now on. It wouldnt fit at first. Then i found pieces of flex pipe wedged into the passages leading to the bumper. I finally received the gas tank hold downs so all of that is in place. I fired it up to burp the cooling system. Im waiting on two seat cushions. The last two should be done this week. I hope to drive it this friday. 20211005_151946.jpg 20211005_151937.jpg 20211005_124728.jpg 20211005_130743.jpg

WC145, Thor1, catdad49 and 11 others like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Keep warm and give the courage :eek:

loudbang, 427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  15. I dont know about the warm part. The previous owner disconnected the heater hoses. I will fix that next spring. Im running out of time to drive it so long johns a winter coat along with gloves with hand warmers are how its done around here.

WC145, Thor1, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds great for fishing once the ice melts...:oops:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure there's a problem with the heater core? Maybe the hoses were disconnected for a swap and never reattached...do you have the core out?

I know you added new carpet so getting coolant on it through a leaky core would suck royally...just curious...

Thor1 and loudbang like this.

18. Just like going to a Packers game!!!

19. I dont have time to get into the heater core this fall. I most likely will just replace it do to the new carpet. I have had them go out on other cars over the years.
    Next spring i plan on doing alot more on the vette. I have already started a list. Heres a few things go fix.
    Heater
    Pinion seal
    Side trim
    Front harness
    Power wash
    Ignition covers
    Date coded generator
    Blower
    Nitro
    Wait a second scrap the last two. I have enough going on already. Some of the parts i already have. Its more of a time issue right now with winter coming.

Thor1, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

If it has a heater water valve, that's another likely source of a leak.

Hope you get to putt around in it at least a few times this fall....

21. I dont see a valve anywhere. The water pump and intake have pipe plugs. The fire wall has bare tubes coming out. Over the winter i plan on doing alot of research on this car. Im really out of comfortable mopar zone. I dont know whats correct and whats incorrect. I have the judging book and other sources of info. The primary goal of getting it road worthy again has been achieved. Next year it will be all about appearance and originality. The attention will soon shift from the vette to the Chevelle then to the nitro coupe.

Thor1, catdad49, OahuEli and 3 others like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

aw come on man, put the last 2 back in... stock corvettes are boring...... just kidding, your car, your plan.... have fun
    vette1.JPG

WC145, Thor1, drdave and 5 others like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

It looks like the valve is inside the car, on the firewall?

24. I believe the valve may be in the heater box, spliced in the line. Like the 56 Chev cars were. The joiner hose is a source for leaks as well, in those cars.

25. Is the valve there to turn off the hot water in the summer? My 40 Dodge truck had a set up like that.

26. squirrel

squirrel

The other chevys with deluxe heater had a TEMP control, it was thermostatic. with a borduon tube. Just like lots of other cars in the 50s. I dont know if the vette has that, does it have a TEMP lever?

Thor1, Stogy and racer-x like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Except without the Old Fashioneds!

Stogy, '28phonebooth and racer-x like this.
  28. Quick search shows a cable operated valve inside car, outside of box. Replacement seals are available to repair the valve. Looks like a casting, not drawn metal as body of valve. (From Zip's catalog)

Thor1, Stogy, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  29. Thor1, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  30. Good one Denny. The Old fashioned....the cocktail that made Wisconsin famous!

Stogy likes this.