Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Barn find 57 vette.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jul 24, 2021.

1. The story only gets more strange. As we are walking around looking at all the cars and farm machines she says this is the one i lost my arm to. It was some kind of machine that transfered corn to a silo. The fire department could not find the arm. The uncle did the next spring. She told me the hand was perfectly preserved something to do with the corn as it dries. I asked her what happened to it. She said she put it in a jar. Its somewhere around here. Kinda creepy if you ask me. If i find it i will post a pic. You just dont find things like that looking for old cars.

2. Dennis D

Dennis D

Please put a dis-claimer on that photo post:p
    Wonder what the thinking was on the 421,4 speed purchase. Had to be a reason behind that I would think. I worked with a guy that was into Amway and he bought a new Belvedere station wagon with the 383, 4 speed option. He told me he thought the combo would work better hauling the cases of products he had to move. That was in '72 when I got out of the service and the car was a couple of years old IIRC. This story does get more interesting as it goes along. Had you known of this place for awhile? D

drdave, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Carrol Shelby dealing with Ford? Lol

upload_2021-9-1_14-52-17.png

WC145, Stogy, racer-x and 5 others like this.
  4. The car was a loaded up dealer demo. Thats what i was told. I have known about the property for the last 40 years as i drive by it everyday. Its all grown over. The driveway is like a green tunnel. You cant see a thing from the road. The guy that i got the 57 from its his girlfriend that has the farm. He brought her over to see what i have done to the car. Thats how this part of the story started. She mentioned the cars and how she had to get rid of whats left. I was invited over for a look. She knows whats in the Ventura.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    WC145, Moondog13, OahuEli and 8 others like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Let them take it for a ride when you get it back on the road, that should get you some brownie points. :D
    The 57 that is.

Stogy, 427 sleeper, racer-x and 4 others like this.
  6. AmishMike

AmishMike

I wear
    bib overalls all winter cool weather…. Most comfortable things in the world, try them. Son in law tried & joined the club. Bigger the beer belly the more comfortable they r

OahuEli, drdave, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  7. The Pontiac appears to be sitting quite low in the back end. I wonder if the trunk and interior are full of the same 'body preserving" corn. You say she lives alone huh. No parents, grandparents or siblings around huh ... :eek:o_O

[​IMG]

WC145, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  8. The farm house was ordered through the sears catalog. It burned down about ten years ago. She lives close and drives over each day to care for the animals. This property is 25 acres with a pasture. The other property is corn 85 acres located close by. I haven't been to that yet i wonder whats there.
    Im determined to find the jar.

9. I believe that's why they coined the phrase, "morbid curiosity"

loudbang, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Jeepers!......:confused::confused::eek::eek:

borntoloze, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. I found this 396 emblem on the ground. So there has to be or was a big block 66 or 67 car here. She let me have it. 20210831_191522.jpg 20210831_153030.jpg
    The path leading into the place.

WC145, OahuEli, drdave and 10 others like this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

13. Dennis D

Dennis D

There is no telling the treasure that is around that place. I have become addicted to this thread.....D

Moondog13, OahuEli, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

Better not let Mike know where this is!

loudbang, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. I once got to explore a place like that…we had to step over the “guard” ants at the owner’s insistence….wouldn’t have been surprised if there were hands in that place!

16. Deuces

Deuces

That's a '66 emblem....;)
    425 horse 396....

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

C5A75068-9076-48A0-A648-28EAD9CA210B.jpeg

Oh no! I hope that’s not the phantom hand that mysteriously appeared in the photo :eek:

WC145, Slopok, NashRodMan and 10 others like this.
  18. Chief 64

Chief 64

That is one huge hand ….look how it grips that green 5 gallon :D

WC145, OahuEli, NashRodMan and 2 others like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Of course :D

20. Deuces

Deuces

Chevy should have stuffed that motor under the hoods of early F body cars.... Oh, well...:rolleyes:
    Or, it could have been an option....

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Thats her left hand. The right arm was removed.

loudbang, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

The 375 hp 396 was available, the right dealer could C.O.P.O. you a 427 in the early F body. The real early 427 Camaros were dealer installed ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! I know....:D

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Around 100 or so 427 chevelles were built. The 375 hp 396 was a solid lifter cam engine. Also very rare. Then there was a late in the year L-79 vette engine option. They were bench seat four speeds. Thats what my 66 Chevelle/ Malibu is.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She'll probably come out of this quite wealthy...but the whole story sounds rough around the edges and quite an American Journey through thick and thin...little sad really...

26. It really is. She plans on buying some land and retiring with a few animals. I cant believe all of the work they both do daily

WC145, OahuEli, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  27. Jones St.

Jones St.

download - 2021-09-01T223518.602.jpg
    That transfer equipment is called an auger. Had a local (1 year ahead in H.S.) lose his right leg from the knee down a few years back. I worked in feed mill one winter and they were everywhere.

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may have been a very old machine...perhaps with less guards...but farm accidents are always happening as theres so many hazards everywhere one turns...

WC145, egads and loudbang like this.
  29. big john d

big john d
    from ma

a quick fix for a stripped screw hole is to cut an inch off a cabletie and bend the top over and put it in the hole you will be surprised at how tight you can tighten the screw

racer-x, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  30. Quote: " I missed out on the 66 yellow vette that was in the front barn. The yellow vette was the sisters car".
    Quote: "That's a '66 emblem....;) 425 horse 396....".

Any chance that 396 emblem is off the yellow Corvette?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021