Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn find 32 roadster drag car.. Detroit history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty B, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Crafty B

Crafty B

I have had this car for a couple of years now and I finally have set out to get it back to a running/driving car. I was at the Kalamazoo Street Rod Nat's a couple of years ago showing the B-Line truck and a old tool and die coworker was there and told me about this car. The car was a native from the Detroit area all it life I was told. The fellow that I purchaced it from bought it from an old gal while sitting around a campfire somewhere while camping, her husband had built it and had passed away a few years earlier . It still has it's original red candy paint and drive line but the motor was long gone so I set out to find a period correct mill..and found this 394 Olds in a tool shed about 2 miles from my house and what's really crazy the car was about 2 miles in the opposite direction in a barn...really!!! My hopes are to have it ready for next year and if anyone may know something about this car it was in Detroit area in the 60's I was told

Crafty

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I like that car a lot! Cool story too!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, that's a pretty amazing score! I would be starting in the Drag Car in Motion thread trying to find some more info of this car. The way that it's setup and the way it looks I am sure someone will com forward with the info and some pics. It's just so fucking tasty man!!!!

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey Crafty,
    Not sure if you know about the water winter wonderland site, but they have a drag strip section where people chat about the dargstrips, past & present in Michigan. You can post pics of your car there on the drag strip pages for detroit dragway as well as others from the east side of the state. The site is www.waterwinterwonderland.com Check it out if ya already haven't!!

5. Man thats a cool score......buy a lotto ticket also :)

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

what is that varmint on the cowl??

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey CRAFTY...O someone will know that old stormer, it was definantly a big time rod in the day! man why are all thes old rods missing the engines, it's a mistery. maby the old lady droped it in her grocery getter! HA!...POP.

8. 440shawn

440shawn

Wow! Man what a great find.

9. Crafty B

Crafty B

I forgot about the plastic rat on the cowl HA HA one of my club guys put it there

10. I'll ask around, alot of old drag racers in the MHRA and I have alot of old local racing on video.

11. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Awesome, I'll trade you my soul for it.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

You might look at Byron Stack's "Gasser Madness" website...he has a page devoted to old street roadsters.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Crafty,...

Do you know Dave Crane ?,..... he would be my first stop,... and he's in your own backyard, he was the first guy to put the history back together with the Blue Racer.
    good luck and great car ! (hows the 3/W coming ?)

Dave's contact information is on this thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398276

14. Crafty B

Crafty B

Yes I have met Dave and I will give him a call...thanks for all the info guys!! the 3 window project is stalled and I still need to still locate a drivers door. I will be working on both thru out the winter but the roadster is complete body wise and I dont have to do any bodywork.

Crafty B Nostalgic Speed

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

dammmm that car is sweet....great find.

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

cant wait to see the updates man

17. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

I love these historic fact finding rebuilds the most,love how it never takes long for someone to get the dirt on these old finds here...cool as

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

That is awesome. I agree on wanting get it running, but I would never make the changes that would be needed to put it on the street or race it again.

It's perfect just like it is.

20. solid

solid

Just right.