Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn find - 1964 Pontiac Catalina 421 early custom car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redranch, Jul 9, 2016.

1. IMG_4183.JPG IMG_4184.JPG IMG_4185.JPG ...and more photos of the work on the inner rockers.

2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good. Nice to have such a solid starting point...Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and redranch like this.
  3. Sorry for the lack of posts and photos recently, but I've been finishing off another project car. This one is my 1965 Pontiac Catalina Convertible, 421 auto. This was a GM exec ordered car with lots of options including the special order paint, Samoan Bronze. This was actually a 65 Cadillac colour...the car has taken about 4 years to do the frame off restoration. I still have a few things to finish, like getting the AC to work properly, fitting the fender skirts and generally getting rid of any bugs after a long term restoration. It came second in it's class at the Ames Pontiac show in Norwalk, OH in the summer. _MG_0047.jpg restored 65 Catalina.png

4. As for an update on the 64 Catalina, we have now almost done with the inner and outer rockers. That took longer than we thought (it always done). Next we are going to tackle the floors before moving on to the frame.
    It's a shame nobody make a good reproduction floor for the 64 Catalina (Ames and OPGI have them but they are not the same as the pattern as the original floor...it's more generic). I think I'll have to buy these floors but just use sections where my floor has rust. Unless anon has some rust free floors they want to sell, or know of a better option than Ames and OPGI. TOUHLUPPQ2+fwu9lO6S2Lw.jpg CZRUuTn8Say%AgSgtP1egA.jpg IMG_4702.JPG IMG_4705.JPG

Peanut 1959, brad2v, Oldioron and 3 others like this.
  5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Beautiful '65! I'd love to see a shot when you get the skirts fitted. Looking forward to more updates on the '64.

6. Beautiful ‘65!!!

Glad to see continued progress on the ‘64.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Do yourself a favor and build up the idler arm pad on the frame, they are very flimsy on these cars..
    I would also move the upper control arm brackets back 1-1/2" to put the suspension into positive caster with the upper control arms having an even number of shims... These cars like 5 to 6 degrees positive caster, 1/2 degree of negative camber and 1/16 toe in...
    They come with a decent sized spindle and don't handle too bad once you get the caster into positive..

loudbang likes this.
  8. cabong

cabong

Very cool find !! I agree it would be tough changing the color, either from the custom paint or the original color. Both are very cool. I have not had the time to read all the posts, so am kinda shoot'n from the hip, but I hope Bob is doing okay. i finished up an old Winfield custom for a fellow who was in a nursing home. He had owned the car since new, a '50 Chev convert. You can see the thread at "Winfield custom found"... Reason for mentioning this is that his family swears that I gave him one really good year of life, by including him in the completion. Good Luck !!!

redranch, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.