Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Barn", er, uh Beside the house find Nomad, wish it were mine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kennkat, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kennkat

kennkat

So... I got a call from a good customer of mine last week to go look at a 55 Nomad that he was interested in buying to restore.. When we got there to see it this is what we found! WOW! He got every single piece and most were still on the car as you can see! The original 265 had been removed and a 283 installed but it ALL came with the car!! The car has 170K on it, was purchased in 1961 from the local Chevy dealer's "OK Used Car" lot for $800..
    Parked inside from 1976 until 2009, then covered up beside the garage... NO RUST, really! Has power brakes, steering, power seats & plans are a 100% resto... Was painted once, by the owner back in 1972...it will go back to the Seafoam Green & White paint scheme... Here it is as we found it! Ain't She a Beauty???:):):)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. kennkat

kennkat

Got her home and on the wash-rack. Note the 265 on the ground...Dig those Appliance "Wire-Mags!" - Only one set of tires ever on them since new and they still have 90%+ tread, rotted of course.... That's the factory spare on the right front... got the stock wheels and hubcaps too! :):):):)

Attached Files:

3. upspirate

upspirate

Nice find! At first I thought the wheelwells were cut & re-formed....nice job, but I googled it and found they were like that from the factory unlike the sedans

4. My favorite year Nomad..love the radiused rear wheel wells on them.
    Your customer is a very lucky guy.

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

wow! great find.Nice car, especially with the options and the diecast trim intact.

6. WOW! Awesome score! That's the stuff dreams are made of!

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wow, that is one unreal find. All there & in great shape. Someone at one time really wanted that car red, to go to the trouble to repaint the dash, etc. Most would have taken the easy route & just picked a color to match the interior. Very cool find.

8. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Only on the 55s. On the 56 and 57 Nomads they were just like the sedans. Must be the reason I always liked the 55s best. Great find.

9. Great find for sure....Wish it was mine.

10. 5559

from tn

i've been told there not worth much anymore---but I might take it off your hands for a small fee

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

that ones worth 15 k EASY

:cool:

12. kennkat

kennkat

:):):) - Yep, after the one I saw sell on ebay 3 days ago for $6500 with no trim and little glass, see thru floors and rockers,:eek::eek::eek: I think it is easily worth $20K+... My customer paid considerably less.... :):):)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Fedman

Fedman

Great Car, and the price.......... cannot say what i am thinking.:D

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

15. One sold local about the same shape. Still had original paint.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The OG color could be Sea Mist Green or Regal Turquoise with a India Ivory top. That was the OG color of my 55 Nomad. Nice find, luck guy and a smart guy too for redoing it OG. Too many young turds want to cut up old classics that are becoming more scarce.

17. Then I'll say it, HOLY FUCK!-MIKE:eek::D:p

18. Nice looking car. HRP

19. racemad55

racemad55

Or neptune green, The cowltag will tell, With green &beige interior the outside could have also been harvest gold (yellow) like mine was originally.

20. cavman

cavman

Ten Grand for that was a steal! Lucky Guy.

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

'You Suck' does not begin to convey my jealousy...it'll do for a start

22. Model T1

Model T1

Next to a Model A coupe the 55 Nomad is my favorite.
    Well every car is my favorite but the Nomad is right up there. Thanks for telling the price. So many won't. We are all thinking and wondering so why not?
    A real bargain. You can call this a barn find, a garage find, or beside the house find. Whatever it is ,it's a great find. I guess the next guy that calls my 55 handyman a Nomad I'll thank him. It was a highway find. Saw it going down the road. Then in the paper for sale. Then in a front yard.

23. kennkat

kennkat

:):):) I need to check the paint code... and post it when I do. Yes you are right... I cringe every time I see a "tri-5 chevy" with 22's!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Here is the "whole story" - my customer was chosen by the family to get this car as they know that is exactly what he will do with it... return it to it's OEM best. The sad part is that the man sold it as he is now 77 and dying of leukemia...:(:(:( But the 'Mad will live on :):):)

24. Love those tri fives 55 is my favorite. Nice find.

25. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Good for you, very nice.
    I would not get within 100' of that Nomad with a Spray Gun. But that's just me.

26. kennkat

kennkat

:):):) I so agree with you... I would rebuild the suspension, wiring and power train and Drive It! :):):) But this way is better, I think,:confused::confused::confused: as it will be an important piece of automotive history well preserved. :):):)

27. racer756

racer756

Great score from the Gold Country!

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

29. skinnydude

skinnydude

My 2 cents 55 were the nicest !!!!!

30. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

nice find i know where one like that is sitting since 72 copper the guy has been hot n cold for years still trying to work him 10g,s for the body complete missing one eyebrow :cool: