Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bare Metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked50, Jul 1, 2009.

1. gotra66

gotra66

I've used the paint stripper from the auto paint store. It works great. Even ate out most of the bondo. It was nuetralized by water, and clean-up was easy.

2. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

just curious are wire wheels on a grinder to aggressive?

3. jimbobb

jimbobb
    from Oakdale Mn

My favrite method is to use the arosal stripper from home depot,than cut it of w/the wide blade wallpaper scraper. For the final clean,a grill cleaner pad (black 3m with handle) and vinager & water to
    neutrilize the stripper & etch the metal. It took about ten cans to undo earl shribes enamel and chrys laquer on a four door saratoga. You can push the paint right into a cardboard box.

4. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Rapid strip discs, scotch brite discs, bristle discs, wire wheels. All on a right angle air tool. Dont use any type of 3M roloc grinding disc, they take off too much metal.

5. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I agree and use them constantly and they work great. I try not to spin them fast enough to make sparks. If I have sparks are removing metal not paint or rust. I usually put them on 90 degree worn put HF die grinder. But watch out they do come apart in a die grinder especially the ones they sell at home depot and Lowes that are rated at about 3,500 RPM's. I have found remnants of the ones that came apart 100 feet from where I was using it and they hurt like hell and leave nasty scars don't ask me how I know.

6. rev. munster

rev. munster
    from houston,tx

scotch brite disk on a 4 1/2" angle grinder?