Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bare metal question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JasonK, Feb 27, 2006.

1. JasonK

JasonK

How long could a guy leave a car with bare metal? The way I work, I'd say it would take me at least two weeks to get my car stripped. I leave it in the garage, my wife is in and out every day with her van. What precautions should I take? I don't want to have to strip it ever again.....

2. Painterman

Painterman

I'm guessing you're going to put some kind of paint on it? If so, just make sure you don't touch it with your bare hands too much (the oils and acids in your skin cause rust even much later) And make sure you clean it good with a degreaser before you prime. When you do prime, use an epoxy and it should be fine. You could have it in bare metal for a long while if you keep it clean and dry. Hope this helps ya.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My 50 Kustom has been in bare metal for almost 2 years. :cool:

4. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

anytime i have something in bare metal for more than a day(here in the RUST BELT bare metal seems to want to flash rust after a few days:eek:),,i always like to use DX579 metal cleaner before i shoot any DP epoxy over it,, it gets the metal really clean and elimintates any chances for flash rust coming back to visit you later on,,

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Special Ed GT

Special Ed GT
    from Denver-ish

Jason, even if you just leave it bare for a day or 2, you'll get some flash rust and it'll get dirty too. No biggie, you'll just need to deal with the rust and dirt that do develop.

Keep it as clean and dry as possible. When you're not working on it, place a plastic cover over your car to protect it, especially when the garage door is open and your wife is driving the hot rod minivan in or out. Before you begin to strip it, clean it VERY WELL with soap and water followed by DX330 or other paint prep cleaner. Don't touch it w/ bare hands - use gloves. After it's all stripped and ready for paint, clean it again w/ DX330 and then hit it again lightly with the sander to make sure any flash rust is gone. Just remember that it can't be too clean. Good luck and have fun!

Hank

6. Wipe it down with Phosforic Acid,aka Metal Prep.

7. slamdpup

slamdpup

there is some chemical at advanced auto parts thats called RIGHT STUFF..it will protect bare metal even in the rain..its also good for rust.. spray it on rust and paint over it or spray it over bare metal and prime over it..its good stuff

8. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Cut away the rocker panels to replace them (leaving the sill plate intact) on my '51 Merc. Looked at the under side of the sill plate and there was bare metal, no rust. Thats 55 years. :) :D

9. JasonK

JasonK

Thanks guys. Yes, i just want to get the car in primer right now, with an etch primer. Paint later this year......

10. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Just remember that most primers do not protect from rust. You'll probably be OK if you don't take it out of the garage. There are exceptions, like epoxy and a few others.

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I have a fender in my garage that I wiped down with DuPont Metal Prep 3-4 years ago, and it's still rust free...and I live in the rust capital of the world.

12. JasonK

JasonK

From what I'm hearing, I should be okay if I prime it within the first few weeks. I've stripped one door and primed. But I'd like ot shoot the entire car, that will give me some paint gun time, to practice some.

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I stripped a pair of 62 galaxie inner fenders to bare metal and used a 60/40 mix of phosphoric acid and water.I scrubbed the panel with a green scotch brite pad keeping it wet(i used a spray bottle for the acid mixture) when done wipe dry immediatly.I do all my panels like that and they never rust.IMPORTANT before priming with epoxy wet the panels with wax& grease remover then dry and primeTHe acid mixture leaves a light coating that must be washed off before priming.P/A is avaiable at home depot 5 a gallon.Much cheaper than metal prep and its basically the same thing.mike btt

14. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

It's best to prime bare metal asap. If you have rust pits that you sandblasted, it's especially important. If it's all real smooth them you can always sand & metalprep it to remove surface rust.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Since I gave up hope I feel much better.

15. I live on the coast, about 2 miles from the ocean as the seagull flies and about 200 yards from a salt water estuary. As I stripped my car to bare metal I covered the exposed surfaces with Glad Press N Seal plastic wrap. No surface rust at all after more than a month.

16. Bert

Bert

If you use a rust converter{phosphoric acid} based solution, do not then use an "etch" primer over the treated metal.....as the acid tends to etch the surface of the metal, so only use a standard primer, ie no etch based additives are added to the paint....use one or the other, but not both.......as both products condition the metal for better adhesion it can be to much and cause probs with the paint later on..........so, use the etch primer OR phosphoric acid on the metal and normal primer......my 2c.........Bert

17. JasonK

JasonK

I'm going to pick up some of that p. acid tonight. Thanks for the advice everyone. I have the cowl stripped.
    Bert - I'll still need to "prep" the metal before I prime. The metal prep will not wash the etching of the acid?