Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo whine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> So I have only put about 300 miles on my roadster build and the banjo rear end has developed a nasty whine on de-acceleration only. I empted the regular rear end oil and replaced with the 600 stuff but still have the noise. No chunks or metal came out with the oil change so anybody have any ideas what it might be.
    Seems to drive and accelerate just fine.
    If I need to rebuild the banjo I might just splash out on a quick change

2. TV

TV

Did you rebuild the rear end when you built the car?? If so, I'm guessing you missed on the pre-load. It usually takes about that long for the noise to start. I would pull it down, it will only get worse.--TV

3. Fogger

Fogger

When you disassemble the rear axle first check the pinion to ring gear contact pattern. Noise on acceleration or deceleration usually indicates incorrect pinion position. Too far into or too far out of the ring gear. Bearings are probably good if noise is not constant.

4. Oh, nevermind. I read the thread subject and thought it was about a music video..:rolleyes:

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Pinion initial preload, OR the nut/locknut/locking tab assembly holding said adjustment somehow came loose. Get it outtathere before stuff is destroyed, and repost!
    Is the stuff inside Ford or recent aftermarkey R&P?
    Or just tell everybody you have a quickchange...

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

its original 40's Ford, I gotta run it to the early ford picnic on Sunday but may pull it after that. My buddy has offered to rebuild and I think I will splash out on a Dick Sparo quick change that uses all my other parts. It will look cool hanging out the back

[​IMG]

8. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I was looking to have someone re-build my rear end for me because I am so busy and I don't want the car off the road for any length of time, I just spent 4 years building the thing. So I phoned Randy's Ring and Pinion and the tech on the phone asked me what type of rear end.

I said "Ford banjo" he asked me if I knew if the ford banjo had a nine inch in it.
    :rolleyes:

9. butch27

butch27

Oh Boy: sounds like he once worked at AZ or O'really's.

10. Ha! Even I know it's an 8"
    ;)

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

You might have better luck trying a place that knows newer Quickchanges, it they are pretty much the same design, only bigger, and shiming is done on the diff instead of with gaskets

Also my dad got gaskets for his banjo from Rods Quality ford, which happens to be in snohomish also, I dunno if he stocks them or just ordered them for him

12. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

yeah Rods is a stones throw from my house, the Friday before Hotrodarama last year I came home from work to find all the fluid had come out the rear slave cylinders. Rod had new cylinders in stock I picked them up from his house at 10pm and fixed it before the show.

It only howls on de-acceleration everyone is telling me I just need to adjust the backlash with gaskets. Just a bit afraid of pulling it apart and then being of the road for weeks

13. retromotors

retromotors

"Banjo Whine"
    Hmmmm .... helluva good name for a shitkicker band with a female vocalist.

14. mlagusis

mlagusis

Hot rod works in nampa idaho knows does good work.