Register now to get rid of these ads!

banjo wheel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by decayed40, Dec 7, 2007.

1. decayed40

decayed40

first i want to say i looked thru the forums and did not find a answer to this so here it goes,i have a 36 ford p/u with original column w/floor shift .what year banjo wheel will fit or what years with a little help will fit it? reason for asking ive seen them listed used as fitting from 37 on what the difference? thanks to all:confused:

2. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Ford only made banjo steering wheels from '35 thru '39 and they are all tapered on the back of the hub so they will all fit your stock column.

3. A 40 ford column has a larger taper that is pressed on,,,,and is much larger than the banjo style wheel. HRP

4. decayed40

decayed40

thank you for thr response guys its a great help!

5. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

banjo from 36 - 39, they were wrong for 35s.

the 36/37 banjo has straight spokes and seems to be quite hard to come by whereas the later banjo wheels have fanned spokes and there seems to be a few of them about, they make these repro as well.

6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I need to interseed here......I have a '37 wheel mounted to my '40 column. It went right on as it should.

7. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Thanks for the clarification about 35 banjos. I've done a few that I was told were 35's but they seemed to be the same as 36's. Pictured are a 36 with the straight spokes and a 39 with the fanned spokes. I may stand corrected again but the 36's that I've come across have cylindrical stainless spoke separators and 37's have chromed ribbed separators. I think I have a 37 right now but I'm too lazy to get a photo. I've also seen a slight difference in the hubs where the horn buttons fit on 36's and 37's but I'm thinking that there could have been a couple of manufacturers. I've seen Sheller, but I'm not up on any others. The only differences that I know of between 38's and 39's are in the horn button assemblies. I would be interested if anybody has more info. I've found all of the Ford banjo wheels to be fairly plentiful but the 39 Deluxe horn buttons/light rods in good shape are gold.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=385818&stc=1&d=1197130866

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=385819&stc=1&d=1197130866

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=385820&stc=1&d=1197130866

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=385821&stc=1&d=1197130866

Attached Files:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A stock 40 steering mast has a bell of about 4" in diameter. The banjos were made for the earlier floor shift columns and have about a 2" bell. The wheel will fit the shaft taper and keyway but it would look strange with the smaller 2" hub inside the larger 4" 40 bell. IMHO. I don't know if the 40 column bell is easily removed or not. I have removed the larger bells on later truck columns to get a better fit for a different wheel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 37 banjo with the pot metal spoke separator and straight spokes.

[​IMG]

This is my 38/39 with the splayed spokes. I believe I read somewhere that the spoke separators differ from 38 to 39 but I can't confirm that.