Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo tech help...'40 Zephyr rear axle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skajaquada, May 10, 2009.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Are the gaskets, seals, bearings, gears etc. the same between Ford and Lincoln rear axles? I just got a '40 Zephyr rear axle and am pretty set on running it. I saw the roller bearings that Speedway sells for the axles and they appear to be the same and all the gasket sets I've seen look similar too bu I can't find any info one way or another.

Also curious about the gearing on this beast and whether or not I can get different ratios for it if needs be. Anybody know what the stock ratio would be?

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Most were set up for overdrive with very deep ratios, like 4.44. I think some differential parts and some bearings are same as Ford, gears and housings obviously are totally different. Barring major luck, you will be usinf whatever hard parts are in there...figure out what needs to be replaced. If you find a bearing or small part is shot, I can lookitup and find out if it crosses over to Ford.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

Awesome, thanks! I had a feeling you'd be one with some info for me.