Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo Steering Wheel, Will this work...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munson, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

This company sells pretty awesome VW engines, and I noticed one day they had Banjo steering wheels for $165 that they put in 356 replicas and what not....
    Since I've seen them for $250-800 other places I figured I'd get you opinions on this one.

Will it work on old american iron?
    http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1309
    just an fyi, hope it works for someone.
    j

2. I saw those a while ago and thought that if it didn't work on American columns that I'd find a VW column and use the wheel on that!

3. It looks better than most of the street rod industries offerings. The AH Sprite an MG Midget wheels from about 63-66 look pretty good too. They are cheap on ebay, usually.

4. noboD

noboD

Munson, this is a copy of a Petri wheel [brand name}. VW's use a splined shaft, hollow like old Ford's. Guess you could TIG the VW shaft end onto your steering shaft. There's several real neat horn buttons available that fit this wheel.

5. Mike

Mike

You could cut keyways (slots) into the center hole on the wheel and into the splined area of the column. Then make a metal "key" that fits in the two keyways which will locate the wheel on the column. Hold it all in place using the stock wheel nut.