Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo spring collapsed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OzyRodder, Apr 25, 2013.

1. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was driving to work this morning in my Model A on a 32 chassis and the rear end suddenly dropped onto rear radius rods so that the open drive shaft U-joint was sitting against floor. A quick look showed all mounts and shackles in place and the spring appears ok. The rear has dropped slightly in last 2000 miles but never this low and over time not suddenly. Spring is a reverse eye behind axle type.

What would cause this so I can keep fault finding tonight.

Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Broken leaf in the spring is the first thing that comes to mind.

3. If the spring and all mounts look OK I'd be looking at some Frame Welds. Like crossmember to rails.

4. bgaro

bgaro

geez, it seems like one of those things that should be staring right back at you.

5. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Broken main spring would be something to look for. My buddy Karl Knecht broke his on the way home to Texas from LA. Used a 4x4 timber as a wedge to get him home.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Check the frame at crossmember mounting.

(Jack the car up under the diff, place stands unter the frame rails in front of rear tires...slowly drop rear end, watch what 'moves'...)

You need to raise it anyway to get a clear 'shot' at what changed. Unless the car was very low-sprung, one broken leaf would hardly drop it suddenly, so look at the whole 'picture'...

7. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I basically limped home and parked it. Will check that stuff out tonight but after a quick look the spring appeared intact. Will update and post pictures when I find the issue.

8. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Damn that should be pretty obvious

9. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I climbed under and had a good look. The cross members, shackles and spring are all fine.
    I then noticed the spring appeared to be slightly angled back. I then discovered the front radius rod mounting bolt at the back plate was loose. In fact it had snapped off. Checked the others and all were loose.
    Seems old nylon lock nuts had been used in mock up and never replaced with new ones. Have got all new grade 8 bolts to replace them just in case.

Thanks all for the help. This is the second sloppy effort I have found that could have ended bad. When fixing axel grease seal leak found NO main bearing in hub! Lucky that didn't let go or damage the race. Lesson learned, always double check others work. Will do a full check of previous work before I drive again.