Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo Rearend Gear Ratio Counting Teeth

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrod_willie, Jan 23, 2018.

1. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

I need information about teeth count on ring and pinion on banjo rear end gear sets.
    Gear Ration 3.54
    Gear Ration 3.78
    Gear Ration 4.11
    Gear Ration 4.56

Thanks for all the help

2. alchemy

alchemy

It's really easy on ANY ring and pinion you have. Doesn't matter the car. Just divide the count on the ring by the count on the pinion. If you only have one and the matching (born together at the factory) side isn't with it, you have a piece of scrap. You can't mix and match, even if they are the same ratio.

topher5150 likes this.
  3. xix32

xix32

the 3.54 to 1 is 39 on ring and 11 on pinion

4. Joe H

Joe H

joel likes this.

5. trey32

trey32

Is there markings on the early ford ring and pinion that let you know they are matched??
    I have some ring and pinions in a box and wonder if they have coinciding numbers to denote their matches

6. 3.78 is 34 tooth ring and 9 pinion

7. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't seen any on the rearends I have taken apart.

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Alchemy,
    This is true, for the most part. I've told the story before about my first Quickchange build. I had a ring from one rear end and pinion from another. They didn't match, not by just a little bit either. Even though the tooth counts were right. After fooling around with it for quite a while, my mentor Joy Fair, (look him up on Facebook) sent me to his stash of old parts. The only one he had was the right tooth count and seemed to mesh up with the pinion. Since this was to be used in a low horsepower drag car we figured we had nothing to lose. We did however, paint it up with gear marking compound and found that the pattern couldn't have been better. Put it together and it was quiet and never gave any problems in several seasons of racing.
    This is certainly not the recommended method and it is very time consuming. But, it can be done. After all, the original pieces were mated together for the first time too. There is no reason to believe that you could never get two from separate set that were worn similarly enough to be within tolerance when used with each other.

Same applies to women:D:p;):rolleyes::(

Not arguing, just my experience.

Just in case anyone is interested, Quickchange R&Ps ALMOST ALWAYS fail at the pinion rather than the ring gear. Cracks me up when I see folks advertising stand alone perfect ring gears for sale (ePay etc.) Like you're going to find a bunch of pinions to match up.

v8deuce and big duece like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

as for stock gear ratios, there is a 5/8" or so wide web under the housing that runs from the outside of the housing down to the torque tube flange... the # of teeth on the 2 gears are stamped into the web... divide the smaller # into the larger # and that should give you the ratio the rearend had when it left the factory... HIH...

timwhit likes this.
  10. fatkoop

fatkoop

On banjo gears, there are numbers etched on the side if the ring gear and on the face of the pinon. If they dont match, dont use them together. Hard to see, but if you clean them well, they're there.

alchemy, mgtstumpy and bct like this.
  11. Good to know^^^^^^.