Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo Rear w/o driveshaft coupler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodFreak, Apr 22, 2007.

1. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

This rear end looks like a 41 with the usual shorter radius rods. I removed the torque tube to disconnect driveshaft from banjo but NO coupler. The back end of drive shaft appears to be threaded directly into the large nuts at front of banjo section.
    Anybody know what it is??? I was previouisly told that the rear end was a 41 six cylinder rear assembly due to being a 3.63 ratio (11-40).

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You have a 39-40 and perhaps 41(?) MERCURY rearend. The driveshaft is the pinion gear on these weirdo rears. Only time I know of that, but it may be a Lincoln thing, I don't know.

3. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Thanks for the help. I was guessing maybe Merc since Lincoln banjos I have seen look different. The short radius rods indicate 41 as I know it.
    It definitely looked wierd and was a surprise.

4. Andy

Andy

I have had a couple of them and were 41 Merc. The torque tubes had a sleeve extension in the middle and yes no coupler.