Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banjo rear end-(revisited)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hip, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hip

Hip

I 've exhausted all the Banjo information I could find on the HAMB, and still didn't find what I was looking for. This is a little bit of an off topic question, but involves the banjo rear end.
    I'm in the planning stages of building a Chopper trike, and I've seen the Banjo used as a trike rear end before, but have never got to discuss it with the owner. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or talked with anyone that might have done this, and what it might take to do a sprocket conversion off the third member and chained out the front of the bell.
    Again, I realize this is semi-off-topic question, and will probably get gigged for it, but I don't know of any trike build sights. Thanks

2. oj

oj

Interesting idea. I can't visualize the sprocket, seems like it would be going the wrong way.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a couple banjo based trikes. The sprocket is put on in place of the ring gear, and appropriate surgery done on the front of the banjo center section to make an entry and exit for the chain. Also chop off the pinion boss and cover the hole. One I saw had a pretty well done chain enclosure to capture the lube. The other was a hack job and had diff lube all over the place.

oj likes this.
  4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's another option. Use this "middle drive" from a Yamaha XS1000/XS1100. Then you can leave the banjo sealed. You'd have to use an open drive banjo, or convert one of the closed drive ones to open. XS100-2.jpg XS100.jpg