Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo rear end ratio

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cully33, Oct 1, 2017.

1. I am currently rebuilding a 40 Ford banjo rear end for a guy which will be fitted with a Hailbrand 201 centre section, everything came to me in pieces with a selection of various carriers, axles and ring gears and pinions. One of the ring gear and pinion he provided to me he believed to be a match set with both gears being in good condition which he wants to use.
    However after stripping and cleaning the gears I find the ring gear is stamped 37-9 and the pinion is stamped 11-39.
    37-9 would make it 4.11 ratio and 11-39 would be 3.54 ratio.
    My question is can you mate the 37 tooth ring gear with the 11 tooth pinion making the ratio 3.36 or will this be a miss match of gears causing problems ??
    He has supplied me with some 9 teeth pinions and 34 teeth ring gears so I could put together 3.78 ratio and 4.11 ratio gear sets.
    Thanks in advance for all info/advise given. DSCF2045.JPG DSCF2051.JPG

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I seriously doubt they are compatible. But, you have the gears in hand. How well does the pinion mesh with the ring gear?

The main reason I doubt their compatibility is that the diameter of the pinion changes with tooth count and it seems to me that would have an effect on the shape and size of the teeth.

Likewise the ring gear teeth, according to my reasoning, would change size/shape with tooth count differences, even though the ring gear diameter might be the same. I most certainly could be totally wrong about this. Just my thoughts.

Ray

3. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

No. You can’t mix and match like that.
    As you search through the gears, try and match up the serial numbers. There is typically a 3 or 4 digit number stamped in the pinion and also scribed on the ring gear. The pinion gear showing on your picture has 651 stamped on it. The matching ring gear will have 651 scribed/scratched on it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, 651 will most likely be electropenciled on ring gear on the large flat surface shown. Ron ban1.jpg

5. You can check with Van Pelt Sales. He sells the parts and is very helpful and a HAMB member as well........