Register now to get rid of these ads!

banjo rear condition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigscooter, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

hi guys, what's the easiest way to check the condition of a model A rear end? like for rusty gears and stuff. i've never worked on this style before:confused:

i'm wanting to pick the best one of the two that i have.

thanks!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Take the spring off...carefully and use a spring spreader. Disconnect the radius rods at the torque tube. Then take the axle housings off the center section. All will be shown to you then.

3. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

i can do this with the axles/brakes/drums intacted?
    what works best to seal them back in place?

4. oj

oj

The axles will stay with the carrier, remove wheel & brake drum - the axle is tapered so you'll need a drum puller.

If you are worried i have one apart and can send pics, it really is easy to take apart. Going back together is a different story. The carrier bearings seat in the axle tubes (bells) and the carrier floats between them. The gasket on the axle tube is the shim and they come in different thicknesses. I am thinking if your axles turn freely and there isn't any tight spots etc and the pinion freeplay is tight i would let it go. If you are the curious perfection type then get some wrenches, this will be an experience you won't soon forget!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

5. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

banjo rearend recon is looked at in the December R&C, assuming a 40 is similar to an A??

6. Start by pulling the oil drain plug. Last time I did that on a rear end I was looking at a couple of quarts of rusty water came out. If it passes that test look in with a flashlight. If it passes that test get a good drum puller (rent/borrow or buy but be sure it is a good one). Pull all 4 drums and look at the bearing races on the axle housing. Chances are good that at least one will be shot. Visually check the axle keyways. If they both pass all of the tests take the axle housings off so you can see the bearings and gears. On the small chance that you have a just rebuilt rear end that you may just want to put back together keep track of the gaskets between the axle housings and the center section as they are the shims used to adjust the rear end and need to be replaced with new gaskets of the same thickness.

Charlie Stephens

7. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

spring spreader?
    drum puller?
    cool! i get to buy some more tools:D
    any chance "cheesie tool", i mean harbor freight might have em' ?

8. 32Gnu

32Gnu

No... These are specialty tools... Take a look at my threads, I put one up a while back about a hub puller I bought that worked real good...
    Spring spreader you can make... Search and you shall find..

9. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

one is for sure an "A" the other one, i don't know. the spring mount is in the same spot on both. is there a way to know if it's an "A" or not?

10. The spring is mounted on top of "A" axles and behind on later axles.

11. Most of the '32's had the round flange (both 4 and 8). The star shape (scalloped) came late in '32 when they went to the straddle mounted pinion. Since it carried an 18 part number I assume that it was intended for the V8.

Charlie Stephens