Register now to get rid of these ads!

banjo open conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LjH, Jun 24, 2013.

1. LjH

LjH

Dug up this open banjo today (literally). Can I remove the tube and bolt the yoke to the banjo on my 41 pickup ?
    What else is involved ?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! From what I've seen, no. In an open drive banjo rear end the tip of the pinon is threaded to retain the yoke, in an enclosed drive rear end the pinion is threaded at the base. To make the swap work you have to salvage (at a minimum) the yoke, nut, and pinion from the open drive rear end.

Edit: The open drive rear ends utilized parallel leaf springs, the rear end in the second pix has radius rods so it seems the rear end you found is a mix of parts.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. There are several posts on the hamb on how to do this and what is involved, just do a search.

4. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Edit: The open drive rear ends utilized parallel leaf springs, the rear end in the second pix has radius rods so it seems the rear end you found is a mix of parts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Really?

5. My bet is that the rear end you found is a 42-48 that someone converted to open drive before it was buried. There are several ways to make such a conversion. Without photos of the yoke side it is really impossible to say how it was done. My bet is someone used a 46-47 truck center, to include the ring gear and carrier with the late bells. This was a common swap that produced an open drive axle with buggy spring mounts.

6. You'll want to run a torque arm, from the top of the banjo forward, to keep it from destroying the radius rods when it wants to roll backward from the torque.

7. LjH

LjH

thanks everyone.....

I am now trying to find a 11 tooth pinion from an open banjo.

What I "dug up" is a 4:11..

BTW we have several torque tube setups, 12 I think, so if you are looking for parts PM me:)

8. Why do you want to convert to the open drive? Your signature makes it appear that you're still using the original 3-speed, in which case, using the original torque tube is the route to go.

9. LjH

LjH

Yes that's true. But I have found turning 3500 @65MPH is no fun. Also the 39 top loader needs a rebuild,or I have completely forgotten how to change gears !
    So I picked up a T5 (1352-234) with the correct ratios for the Flathead and after I rebuild it I am considering the conversion.
    Thanks for the question..

10. Check out the Hot Rod Works http://hotrodworks.com/ . Even if you don't buy their stuff you can get some good ideas when it comes to set up and controlling torque.

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The bells look like 37-41 with the spring hangers on them and the center section is 42-48 (53?) open drive. There are some axle tubes that are longer, 42 and up with the same spring hanger. You would have to measure them to figure out what they are.

You could use that whole open drive center section with your axle tubes and axles. It has all the parts you need to go open drive without buying an expensive conversion kit. Get a 3:54 R&P for it and youre good to go. Make sure to use the spider gears that go with your existing axles if you do the swap. The long axles have a different tooth count.

I put an axle like this together for my A pickup. 37-41 tubes/axles/spiders and 42-48 open center section/ring and pinion. I also used the hotrod works torque rod kit, it's a nice piece. I normally make most of my own stuff but for the price and quality it was a no brainer.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013