Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo bolts and brake line banjo fittings on GM front disk brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TVC, Apr 28, 2019.

1. TVC

TVC

I've been having a dickens of a time trying to get the "correct" parts to work together on my GM metric front disk brake conversion. I'm using early Chevy S10 drop spindles which fit just fine, also using the GM metric calipers which also fit perfectly, but I'm having a terrible time with the brake hoses. I need ones that are about ten inches long with the smaller banjo fitting to work with the metric caliper, but can only find hoses in that length with the larger banjo fitting. Auto Zone/Napa and the like are telling me that a smaller banjo bolt will work just fine in the larger fitting using the smaller crush washers, and claim to sell them together in this way all of the time but I'm not sure. It just seems that the banjo bolt and fitting really ought to be the same size compatible, but I just don't know. Any advice or comments or real world knowledge would just be SO helpful at this point in the build. PLEASE ! ! !

Thanks !

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper

Not quite sure I understand completely, but as long as the banjo fitting fits into the recess on the caliper and the bolt is the correct size all should be good. The crush washers just need to have the correct ID to fit the bolt, their OD is not critical.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be the ID of the fitting that is the concern, not the outside measurement. There are a few companies that will custom make brake hoses to your specs.
    You might check with these guys and see what they have to say. https://www.inlinetube.com/

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Are the 4wd ones longer?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

What kind of lines are you using? Stock type "rubber" hoses or braided AN hoses? If you're using braided AN you can use a separate 10MM banjo x AN -3 or -4 adapter, but maybe I'm way off base of what you have or are wanting to do.

Lynn

6. TVC

TVC

I guess that I wasn't clear enough with my question, but I've managed to find what I HOPE is the solution. In addition to the other S10 front end components, I'm using S10 calipers as well, these are the Metric version. They're just a simple single piston design, but seem to be popular and easily stop the much heavier S10; ought to be fine for my project. The problem that I've encountered is that the bolt on the S10 caliper that would fit through the banjo fitting on the end of the brake hose is the 10 mm size and the only brake lines (S10, Camaro, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, etc.) available at my FLAPS are all the 7/16 opening size. Seems that all of the GM cars using the metric calipers have the small banjo bolt and use the brake lines with the larger opening. All of the FLAPS "say" that the smaller outer diameter bolt will work perfectly with the larger inner diameter opening in the banjo fitting when using a copper crush washer on either side of the banjo fitting to seal everything up. They all say that a small bolt in a large hole won't matter. I want to believe this, but kinda don't and was hoping for some guidance from here.

After reading through the responses here, in the end, I just went to Speedway Motors, hit the "Street Rod" section, typed in "brake hose" and found a pair of hoses that have the 10mm banjo opening, the correct fitting that mounts to the hard line, comes in 15 in lengths and includes the hold down clips as well. These are OEM style rubber although there is a braided stainless style as well. As the front suspension is hidden within the wheel well, I skipped the "bling" and went OEM style. I'm a smidge leery of having the over-all condition of the hoses hidden under a woven stainless sleeve anyway. Shouldn't have bothered with my FLAPS at all.

Thanks, TC

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Good to hear you have the problem solved.

Lynn

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper

Oh, OK, so, hoses for GM metric caliper....got it :confused:
    Good to know you got it handled. I can definitely relate with trying to get the correct parts from auto parts stores these days. :mad: