Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banging in the New Year. The January 2014 Banger meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. I think there were a few completed at least 2 or 3 but never heard of what was accomplished with them. Phil Andrews worked with him and built at least one. Some one took over but I never heard much. I purchased a set of "A" rods from him. He used the same blank for the A and B. He just bored the big end for the A or B. The REM A rods I have are heavier than the stock A rods. I had purchased new Chevy style 4" pistons and had the rods narrowed for them then I found the crank was cracked. Went to the stroker crank so had to change to different rods so the REM's are on the shelf. Still looking for a good A crank.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. Mckinney, indeed, was a genuine "good guy". If he had a "fault", it might have been that he'd rush too fast into "production". I, for example, had an engine with his alloy rods. Very shortly, they stretched beyond our limits. I was recently told by a very talented racing engineer/fabricator/mechanic that, while fitting one of Bob's DOHC heads on a Donovan; he found that oil was flying all over. He had to design and fabricate a different cam lubrication system, including bearings seals,and covers to keep the oil off the Gilmer drive belts. (and, to keep the slippery stuff of things in the engine compartment that need no lubrication). Last I heard Andrews still has some REM DOHC castings.

That said, we lost a great innovator with REM's death.

3. Liberty Garage

Liberty Garage

I probably have the only REM head running at Bonneville. 196.6 mph in a belly tank #221.

4. I recall a 32 roadster built with a polished REM DOHC that got some ink. Might have been on here? Anybody have any pics?

5. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

does anyone know much about the fordson tractor flathead banger?

is it convertible for car usage? tuneable?

6. ebtm3

ebtm3

Tuneable? Certainly! Most any stock engine is.

But usable? That lump of cast iron is the whole ''frame'' of the tractor, and probably weighs 3 times what an A or B engine does.

Most useful thing in a Fordson is the final drive worm gear--nickel bronze, about 30 pounds I think, and worth some money as scrap.

Herb Kephart

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

What about the banger that came in 41 pickups to replace the v8 60 I found a truck in the woods with one. Had a little cast steel adapter to mate it up to the ford top loader box. Thank I read the engine was a small tractor unit

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. noboD

noboD

Look at Clark's thread.

9. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

OK where is the I love my banger Feb post?

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Link?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo