Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banging in the New Year. The January 2014 Banger meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Great information. Thanks guys.

2. I need to see more of that T roadster in your avatar!

3. This roadster was my high school buddy's '26. I have posted pictures on other forums but maybe not here on the HAMB. Pictures were taken (by R&C Magazine) at the second LA Roadster show at the Hollywood Bowl in 1961. It had a V8-60 in it. It was just the perfect traditional roadster at a time when SBC's and mag wheels were king. I am currently building one inspired by it only with a banger in it.

Attached Files:

4. Thanks guys. I ordered up some new plugs in the different lengths so I can figure out what exactly I need. I should have those monday. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

bangers for life... What great little motors... lots of aftermarket stuff for them...

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Took this photo of Scott top plates for 97's at the NHRA museum friday. Can't remember the brand names of the other FI top plates

Attached Files:

7. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

What an engine !!!

8. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

wow.... just wow.....

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

10. CDO,
    That's mine on the top. Thanks!

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ya, I borrowed it from a banger tread from back in 2008.

Any progress since?

'

12. TV

TV

Crazy, I had an alexander with a 39 trans in my 30 model A coupe when I was in high school, never took a back seat to anybody at a stop light. I should never have sold that car???????--TV

13. Not much since I retired and moved. Traded for a steel capped insertable B block and some inserted B rods to put under it. Still need to find someone over here who can tig up my intake.
    Have the rocker stands and shaft fabbed up and the valve train sorted out (BBC 1.66 exhaust valves for both I&E, Pinto valve springs, Willys pushrods, 34 Chevy rocker arms)
    Building and other projects took over, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  14. 97

Autolite plugs are manufactured black. Look great. Try XS 4093 (14mm) or 3076 for an 18mm head

15. Wow!! That's a great pic of an actual Alexander in use! Thanks for the inspiration.

Attached Files:

16. I started out with Champions but while sorting out my engine I had fuel fouling problems. When I switched to NGK problem seemed to go away. possibly tuned away but just never went back. I use the exposed tip style. I have used the R's but no apparent advantage in my engine. I once went to a local "high performance" shop and asked for the NGK R's and the clerk said you buy those at Pep Boys. LOL I made some brass caps styled after the aftermarket ones sold by restoration supply stores. If you look real close you can see the brass caps under the wires on the plugs

Attached Files:

17. One evening I parked my pickup with my Lakes Modified on the trailer in 29 palms ca on the way to the "Run To. The Sun" in Lake Havasu Az. While I was waiting a tall slender guy walked up to me and said "My dad and uncle used to work on those cars and they made a lot of parts for them," so I asked him his father's name he said " My father was called Colonel Alexander," I then told him a friend of mine had owned a dragster with an Alexander Aristocrat. He told me that his mother had had a barn full of parts but she had sold the remaining parts because people were breaking in and stealing stuff all the time. He said goodbye and walked away.

18. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

I need a little guidance. I am dropping a B engine and B trans into a 31 Ford Roadster Deluxe. I bought the Brattons conversion kit for the pedals, clutch, ebrake......

I thought I had done my homework (searching the Barn and HAMB) and was set.

I just read on the Barn that I will need to trim the crossmember and shorten the driveshaft to get the B trans to fit. That new info messed up my day a bit!

Does anybody have details on what exactly the necessary alterations would be to fit to B engine and trans into an A?

19. Not sure exactly what you read but I have an A motor with a B trans in my 31 roadster and it fit with no mods to the crossmember or driveshaft. The A and B motors are the same length.

20. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

21. Carter

Carter

I used a 32 k member in mine, but dimensions are same. B eng, B trans, using A front mount, stock uncut A torque tube/driveshaft.

22. This is what I did also but even without the 32K member the length is still the same. I dont think the B transmission is any longer. The A has a bellhousing so if you put the bellhousing on the A transmission and measure them they should be the same. The B transmission has the belhousing attached.

23. Braggaboutcars

Braggaboutcars
    from Woburn, Ma

Hello fellow Bangers! I am a recent joiner of this thread and I would like to introduce myself. My first A-bone came to me in 1962 via my uncle. He gave me the remains of a '28 pickup that had seen lots of use as a woods truck and to power a ski tow. Many others followed it. My first performance build was done in the mid 1970's. Fellow HAMER "the 37 KId and I were working together in a shop in Ct. He was putting a sprint car together and I helped with the Riley 4 Port B block.

Fast forward to now. I'm retired from working for others and now play for myself and my friends. Currently I build and maintain 3 bangers that are being raced in the VSCCA. A Riley 4 Port re-pop in a sprint car, a Riley 2 Port re-pop in an ARCA Ford Amil-car and a brumfield equiped banger in a 1930 type 37 Bugatti. The Bug is also an ?ARCA car. A while back The 37 kid posted pictures of this car on the HAMB.

Also have in progress 2 long blocks for the Amilcar and Bugatti as well as a complete B engine for a sprint car.

In the classifieds I have a set of REM rods and a couple of cranks for sale. I am looking for a HAL or Riley 4 Port. head.

Keep up the Banging!

24. RobErnst

RobErnst

Test

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App and a big box of purple crayons suitably made before 1964 so as to NOT be OT!

25. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Thanks guys for the info re: B in an A. I really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it turns out over the next few weeks. Have to get the 32 axle under the 31 this weekend so that I can move it around.

Attached Files:

26. Great story! Wonder where the guy was from? I have a reprint of one of "Aristocrat" sales brochures, and he made some neat pieces for both bangers and V8's. Wonder who bought the stuff? Speedy Bill?

27. I just assumed he lived within walking distance of the Stater Bro's market in 29 Palms Ca. I think it was purchased by someone in So Ca. I had earlier told this story but used the exact words of the gentleman. He said that his mother sold the stuff to a "junkman" and some one corrected me and said that it was a collector so not wanting to be corrected by someone who was not there I left that part out.

I will tell you another Alexander story related to me by an employer of mine. He said that guy's with well tuned Cragar's would cruise Colonel Alexander's shop and when they saw a car being picked up by someone with their new Alexander equipped engine they would follow for a couple of blocks and challenge them to a short drag. Now I'm repeating what my boss said. The Crager's would walk away from the Alexander's according to him.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  28. I've heard of the Cragar and Riley equipped cars whipping up on the Alex's. Also many more Cragars in the Muroc field, according to the class rosters I've seen.

The Alex has huge two 2" downdraft intake ports that make a sharp 90* turn to a 1.66" valve. The 4 exhausts are the same 2" size. They came with a single downdraft Winfield (I have the. Intake, but no carb) split between the ports, so I would imagine that they're wasn't a lot of snap at low rpm's. Probably went pretty well at full song.

I REALLY need to get mine together and running. I went nuts over that one in Speedy Bill's collection.

Thanks for fanning the coals for me.

Bill

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  29. Braggaboutcars: welcome to this little group of uncurable addicts.

So YOU'RE the guy with the REM rods I've been lusting over. Don't see these much anymore.

Had the pleasure of visiting Bob McKinney for a day, before his passing. What a genuinely nice guy, who really loved what he was doing.

30. Braggaboutcars

Braggaboutcars
    from Woburn, Ma

If you need the REM rods lets talk! I'll even finance if necc.

What happened to the Twin Cam head that Bob McKinney was or did manufacture?