Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bangin' in the New Year - The January BANGER meet is now open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildfire, Jan 1, 2009.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

replica....fake...copy...what ever (not as well executed, but good for reference) but I like the wheels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

who makes "4 bolt" to "3 bolt" carb adapters ? i have a winfield manifold with a holley 94 carb . saw them , but cant remember ............... thx .. steve

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

5. flyin-t

flyin-t

That front axle is nice and it's exactly the way they dropped them back in the day, at least here in Long Beach they did. At the local high school, Poly Tech...which is still here, they made up a jig for the kids to drop their own. Of course this was back in '33 and my old friend Gabby had one on his T back then. In the early 90's when he wanted to recreate the axle he took his stocker to the local spring shop and sketched out on the table what he wanted done to it as well as how much he wanted the main spring shortened to work with the new bend.

Oh, the spring does not bind or hit the axle or any other non sense, in fact it was one of the best riding lowered T's I've ever driven. Gabby also had an adjustable rear crossmember so he could lower or raise the car, at the rear at least, to his liking.

6. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Interested,pm sent

7. flyin-t,

Thanks for posting the pics- I've seen that car before and have always loved the way it was built!...

They don't have that jig at Poly Tech still, do they:D?

8. flyin-t

flyin-t

No, not at Poly anymore.
    In 1933 when the big earthquake hit Long Beach, Gabby was in the process of building his first T in the shop class, the building fell to the ground, as well as many of the older buildings in LB, and crushed his car. It was a total loss and Gabby was out the 4 bucks he had tied up in it. The jig was saved though as his second T, which he had to spend 6 dollars on, was built after the quake.
    I went by Long Beach Spring shop in the late 90's to have my axle bent like his and they did still have the jig they made for Gabby. They have since moved to another location and I haven't gone by the new shop, I should just to see it the jig still exists.

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

What is the name of the shop? Long Beach Spring?

Long Beach Spring
    Quality custom made springs since 1922
    Contact Us- Phone: (562)495-3336
    1735 Santa Fe Ave. - Long Beach, CA 90813
    Open Monday thru Friday, 7:30AM to 4:00PM

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sam a shorter spring is still going to move outward if the schakles are pointing it the nose will have to be pushed up in bump travel. Not good either

Always remember that when something touches or can not comply further the the weight is transfered to the opposite corner

Suspension geography is a bitch. :eek:

11. Does this look like what you are looking for?
    Crazydaddyo, this is the adapter I posted about. I have a pair but cannot find box of adapters. It is not a sand casting but appears to be cast from a mold as it has parting lines on it. The Winfield side is for a CC.

Attached Files:

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

would be intersting to see the jig. I like the style of the drop, but prefer slightly less of an axle drop. It suits the square front of a brass T better than the "u" style found on some dropped axles, and a hell of lot better than the normal dropped ends.

13. flyin-t

flyin-t

Yep, they used to be on Spring street which I always thought was kinda cool.

14. Yea... but if you look at the position of the shackle... if it is inboard, and swings outward, it moves downward... which is how most have them. But if it is outboard and swings outward, it moves up, and that won't work.
    Sam

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]
    thank you ................
    [​IMG]

is the other side a "3 bolt" for a 94/97 ? .... do you own this ? ... steve
    *** thank you both for your help ..............

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it is that as the spring moves closer to being flat (or infinite stiffness) the tendancy for the front of the car to unload onto the opposite rear corner increases dramatically. As this car is supposed to have competition pedigree, it doesn't look like it won many races based on handling: in fact it probably was a rather entertaining to drive at speed on a rutted track.

Another note, looking at the front end: it uses pre-ww1 spring perches (for the wishbone on top) which are now used for the shock mounts and a later split wishbone is used to locate the front end underneath the front axle.

I would really like to see some pics of how the rear end is located and suspended. I have pictures of craig-hunt lowering brackets, but never have seen any in use.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/events/eventVehicle.aspx?carID=1676&eventID=156&catID=1123

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So out of curiousity, anyone on here read up on the Coup de l'auto races?

I have been and it will be neat to note the developement of the Sunbeams and Vauxhauls between 10 and 13 using a 4 cylinder flat head 4. These engines were developed from essentially the stock engines platforms that developed about 20 hp stock (the same as a model T). Both of these engines are very well documented in Laurence Pomeroys book as well is many of the period engineering documents.

A few notes on the '11 3-Litre sidevalve Sunbeams and Vauxhalls : developed apprx 80 hp @ 3,000 rpm, which was more than the 3 Litre DOHC Peugots produced that year. The Vauxhalls were capable of 96 mph during the race. (Sunbeam won that year)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  18. Yes, it is stromberg 3 bolt pattern and yes I do own it and another one just like this one. But I'm not looking to sell. Crazydaddyo expressed a desire to use it for a pattern in order to have some cast. I personally don't like to use adapters. What do you want to do, run Strombergs or Winfields? Dual or single?

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I like it, but I think Buffalo spokes would look better.

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am building a stainless steel header which will use 2 SU carburetors.
    Exhaust will be stainless and straight through to the back bumper, no muffler.

I've been driving this one 10 or 12 years.
    The original engine has been balanced and has fresh babbit, a new bore with a hi performance Bill Stipe cam, and a 7:1 Lion speed head and 12 volt, one wire alternator, and Pertronix ignition.
    .The transmission is a fully synchronised 3 speed with overdrive.
    The brakes are 1940 brake drums with 2" shoes and self energizing, self adjusting 75 chev parts on 1939 Lincoln backing plates.
    I got rid of the useless rumble seat and now have a nice useable trunk with a dropped floor.
    The metal insert in the roof has been fitted so that the original weltline is visible.
    The front axle is dropped, the rear spring has been re-arched to lower it.
    The steering box bushing has been replaced with needle bearings and a grease seal.
    The 16" tires on powder coated rims are only one inch wider than the original 19's but were made for the all-electric RAV4. They were designed for low rolling resistance and long life and have the benefits of being steel belted radials.

Attached Files:

22. Rand Man

Rand Man

Wildfire, that banger and chassis looks great. Have not done anything with mine and I am ashamed. I'm about ready to admitt that I am powerless over my addiction to starting new Hot Rod projects. I should finish one. It's not that I'm lazy, just have too many Irons in the fire.

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Steve, find yourself a good Winfield, you can't beat em! If you're set on the Holley though, go for it,....!

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Bill is an awesome guy,....he'll help you out! VERY GOOD FELLOW!

26. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Bluto-

You never came across a 28-29 Aubrun dash boards since our last talk via emails waaaay earlier in the year by any chance did ya?? I fiuged I'd ask snce we hadn't talked anymore about it since then.....

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Which SU's are you planning to use, Manyolcars? A few of us over here have toyed with the idea of an SU or two. :)
    That's certainly a very nice & well-sorted coupe by the look of it. Have you got any pics of the brake set-up? It sounds really interesting.

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There are no dashes in Poland. So I am working to find one for you in the US. Haven't forgotten you. The impossable takes time you know.:D

29. Had some spares so I started building this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

HA,ha,.... That tubing configuration looks familiar, I know what you're building! ;)