Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger ?, What valve clearance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Jul 17, 2007.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a stock Model A motor and am setting the valves on it. The book that I have has every other spec. number but I cannot find the valve setting. What should they be set at? Like I said, it is all stock. Thanks.

Neal

2. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

For optimal performance, your valves should be timed (clearances set) by piston travel. Unless you have a new cam, an undecked block, etc there is no specific measurement, but, you want your valves to open and close at optimal times during the piston's travel. You should get a degree wheel and mount it to the front of the crankshaft to do this. While this method takes some time (especially with a cam that has been reground or worn) it is well worth the effort. If you want to do it quick and dirty, just set the intake at about .010 and the exhaust at .013 (exhaust valves will grow faster than intakes when hot).