Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banger values

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jul 5, 2018.

1. metalman

metalman

Hey guys. Back story, a buddy of mine got a stock 4 cylinder "B" motor with a 32 he bought 25+ years ago. This week I went over and picked it up, brought it to the shop to determined what shape it's in. Pulled the head and pan, doesn't look bad at all for sitting for who knows how long. So far so good and it looks buildable, biggest concern is it's already .125 over and there is some rust on the cylinder walls. Turns out he just wanted to know what condition is was because he wants to sell it. He's asked me what it's worth as is. I have a good handle on flat head V8 values but no clue on these. Any idea what they are worth? Oh, and fwiw I guess the crank is a good one, it is counter balanced and seems I read about that somewhere. Sorry, no pics, don't have a camera with me today.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

head over to fordbarn.com

3. Pictures will tell what goes with it and this is very important. Cell phone pictures are good enough (but be close enough to fill the frame with what you want to show). Get it from all angles as you might be surprised at what is important. Location is important. As Joker said, head over to fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's already an 1/8th over? Sounds like a hot rod motor. Whats the cam? Pistons? All that makes a difference.

5. metalman

metalman

For what is worth some pics. It is a complete motor with water pump, distributor, manifolds/ carb ect but if I end up with it I'm thinking hot rodded. Haven't cleaned it much but no obvious cracks in the deck. DSC_0253.JPG DSC_0252.JPG DSC_0254.JPG

Attached Files:

6. The wear (assuming that is the reason it is over-bored) on the block could logically translate to a lot of wear on the crank. My guess is that it is worth about $100 or less unless you have the option of returning it after you take it apart and check it out. If it checks out $300. You may get lucky or you may end up throwing most of it away. Try posting your question on fordbarn.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I paid $1200 for a runner with the transmission, tube, front and rear; basically everything under the frame out of a 34 banger PU and was very happy about it. A couple years ago the prices on these were REALLY HIGH but they seem to have cooled down a bit.

8. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like an engine that was used hard and put away wet. And being bored that much doesn't leave much meat, and expensive pistons. Maybe you'd get lucky and there won't be much wear in the bore, so just a rehone and rings are needed. I personally wouldn't think it's worth more than a couple/few hundred. The crank might be worth more than the block.

9. Be sure to check the deck height. If it has been decked several times you will need special pistons to keep them from popping up above the block and hitting the head. A possible solution is to mill the head above the piston. Then there is the problem of the deck being too thin (especially after being decked a few times) and cracking. I have been told this is common with the Model B engines.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I paid $300 for a core with a chrome head and Riley side cover.

11. metalman

metalman

Thanks for the responses. Cleaned it up a bit more and block is cracked, 2 cylinders between the bore and exhaust valve. Not much value I'm afraid. Crank maybe. Moving on.

12. The water pump, distributor and fuel pump, are worth decent money as cores. Crank is probably the most valuable piece.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know that hey aren't making them anymore. Lots of cracked blocks get repaired these days. I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry to off that block I would at least offer it to someone on the banger thread here,

14. Squablow

Squablow

If the price is right, I'd grab it just for the crank and small bits. That's the best part anyway.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Banger values....

upload_2018-7-6_23-5-22.jpeg
    Two pounds fifty a packet