Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banger motor help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Didn’t want to ask,as I feel I’ve checked everything but I can’t figure it out so here goes.

1930 stock bottom end banger motor. Bought this car some years ago and it had a Webber setup that I wasn’t a fan of so I replaced it with a new burns intake,a new stromberg and header. Also put in a FSI distributor.Keep in mind I’ve never driven this car but had it running (have been doing juice brakes and lowering it)

I can’t get this thing to run good enough to drive no matter what I try. I’ve tried using propane with the belt off to look for leaks, I’ve swapped distributors,I’ve swapped the carb to a known running 94, new plugs, screwed with the timing (yes tdc with the pin and all that)with both distributors, have confirmed has decent fuel flow out of the sediment bowl.

it will idle,and rev sitting out of gear, but in gear it will not stay running.no matter what distributor or carb I put on it runs the same. A very slight backfire out of the tailpipe. It will hardly drive at all, but idles and revs while in neutral. I’ve fitled with every idle screw, timing and it ALWAYS runs the same. Compression came out to 60 across the board. I feel like I have tried everything. Down to removing the fuel cap even

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you have one or more stuck valves and the engine can't build any proper compression. A lean situation under acceleration would rather produce a pop back through the carb. Have you already checked compression?

3. Have you confirmed TDC #1 with the piston as well as the timing pin?
    If you checked your compression with 60 psi all round then at least your valves are closed but are they all opening? Take your side cover off and see what’s going on to be sure.
    Correct Spark and fuel on an A doesn’t leave much else to make it run.

4. Compression is equal on all 4 ?

what’s your vacuum reading at idle and 1500 rpm?

flat cam lobe ?

no vacuum or head gasket leaks?

sounds like your loosing compression someplace.

5. I think the next step is to take the side over off yes.

I agree it seems like it has what it needs to run!