Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger lubrication?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Aug 28, 2018.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I was wondering I have seen stuff called "water pump grease" and "600 grease" for differentials and trans etc, so what is everyone using in place of the stuff you have to buy online? There has to be a good substitute at the local parts house?

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 600 grease was used so it wasn't as viscous and run out all the leaks in the housings. There are modern seals and sealants you can put in model age now to eliminate the leaks and use 80 90 synthetic modern lubrication is better lubricant.
    Upgrade your water pump to use a modern seal. The water pump grease was to help seal the packing on the pump as well as lubricate. I always upgrade to a stainless steel shaft in a modern lip seal and you can see all that stuff in the catalog in the link that I provided earlier. You might also ask these questions on the Ford Barn. Good luck, Larry

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Heavy grease-oil is not good unless it is supplied by pressure. With gears and bearings it gets squeezed out under load and heavy grease can't run back in fast enough. In the 60s Chrysler went to ATF in some manual transmissions In the 50s I remember an older mechanic telling Dad run 10w in our splash system Chevy and you will have less rod trouble and he was right.