Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger Guys - Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, May 20, 2008.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

My friend Lance counts on me for mechanical knowlege, when his back is against the wall. This time I'm stumped and am calling in the heavy artillary - you guys! Here's the situation: He's screwing together the worlds coolest A-bone pick-up (trust me!) and is at a standstill, because:
    He's using a 153" Chevy four cyl Marine engine (does that make it a Mercruiser?), which uses a front sump oil pan. He needs a rear sump, for tie rod clearance, etc. And he'd really prefer not to do any fabricating. I think of the early Nova 4 bangers, but can't remember if they were front sump (like the V-8s were) - so I put in a call to my local Nova guru, but no answer, so far. I don't think the 153" can interchange with any other passenger car - am I right? If he were closer, I'd gladly modify the pan for him, but he's 3,000 miles away and really wanting to get going again on his project - he's THAT close [holding my thumb and forefinger really close together]...
    I know you guys usually do the early Ford stuff, but am hoping someone out there might have the 153" Chevy info to get my pal back on the road... Anyone? ... Anyone at all?.............
    ..... Beuller?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Got a 153 in my T. Yes ChevyII used front sump. Got another engine here that has a rear sump pan ,but I don't have a matching O/P pickup thats why I didn't use it. I'm thinking the boat engines had a rear sump.

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

Aha! SOoooooo...... Lance already has a Nova pan and really needs your marine pan, eh?
    Okay Evans, you drive a hard bargain - we'll take that pan! Name your price, man (hey, it's not my money)! We don't even care that it's missing the pickup tube... Wait - seriously, are you SURE about the marine pan being a rear sump? I might have my info all mixed up... Thanks for posting John, but just in case, anyone else have two cents on this?

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey, one more thing - it's probably nothing, but.....
    I'm wondering if the marine engine uses a later one piece seal, versus a two piece for the (earlier) passenger car. Is this going to be an issue, too?

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

One more time, so I can say I gave it a good try...