Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banger ain't broke, but I found somethin' weird !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kenny P, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Kenny P

Kenny P

So, I pull the intake and exhaust off the four banger to install some new spiffy parts.
    The car ran fine and didn't smoke at all when I parked her.
    As I take the manifolds off, I see a chunk of shiny metal in the exhaust port hole, and another shiny chunk hits the garage floor.
    These are the two pieces. I didn't clean them, this is how they fell out. FullSizeRender-5.jpg

So I peek inside and I see nothing wrong, except that in one of the exhaust ports (the one the chunks were in), has a small sprung loaded piece that sits high on the rod, the other three do not have this. I hand spun the motor, all looked okay, everything is snug, I pulled the side cover and found no shavings, pieces or unwanted chunks of metal.

IMG_9566.JPG

SOOOO, whats my next move?
    I don't want to use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" line,
    I'd like to know what it is and why it was there before I button it all back up.
    Thanks for any ideas and help you can give.
    Kenny P

2. R Pope

R Pope

Looks like bits of the valve guide from the port to the left of the picture.

54vicky and loudbang like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree, valve guides are two piece. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  4. BradinNC

BradinNC

Check inside the combustion chamber if you have one of those flexible scopes, similar to a borescope. I would do a compression check also, may have valve/seat damage.

5. You'll have to pull the head and put a new valve guide in.

loudbang likes this.