Register now to get rid of these ads!

bang bang bang bang

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Oct 28, 2012.

1. silent rick

silent rick

the real reason we stopped by was to check out his latest acquisition. it's a 39 ford convertible that has been in storage since at least 1974, maybe longer even. it was last plated in 1968. this car is a true time capsule to how it was in 1960, 61 or 62. enjoy this blast from the past.
    [​IMG]

cadillac mill with 2 four barrels. it was stuck but cass has since freed it up and has it cranking. it will run. did they all have adjustable valvetrain back then? this one does. and the chrome valve cover cleaned up some.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silent rick

silent rick

looks like the caddy gave up it's wheels too. the trans is a 3 speed with side shift. cass said it's a ford though. i took his word on it, i wasn't feeling like crawling under to check, there might have been spiders down there.
    [​IMG]

it does have a columbia 2 speed under it
    [​IMG]

a looksee in the rumble seat
    [​IMG]

3. silent rick

silent rick

the front seat is that same white and red tuck and roll. it's grungy but in excellent shape. i wasn't paying attention to the wheel but cass said the dash is from a buick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

twin appletons and jim noticed the antenna had this cool little red tip.
    [​IMG]

other guys started noticing other subtle changes also. it appears the rear bumper has been tucked in a few inches from it's stock location. it came with an extra hood and a bunch of fenders and cass has plans of going back later with someone a little smaller and lighter to go search the rafters of the garage for more parts that belong to the car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silent rick

silent rick

i'll keep everybody updated on this car and the tbird project or any other crap cass ends up with.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I love this shit!!!!

I want to see some pix of some HotRod Model A cranks and/or bottom ends, if possible?

6. alumslot

alumslot

Very cool car Cass just has too much fun.

Jim

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Rick:

Thanks for the heads up for today. Seeing the stuff that Cass has stashed is like going through a time capsule. Cass was a very gracious host today and I enjoyed the tour. After leaving a place like that, it's hard to walk into my modest garage. Thanks again. Stu

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wow. I love these threads. That rumble seat is really cool!

9. pitman

pitman

A turbo-ed Offy in a coupe!
    Yeeesh! Thanks Rick for introducing Cass here.

10. silent rick

silent rick

the cars are one thing, but the memorabilia in his office is fun to look at also. i find myself smiling at something and then returning to my normal face only to go back to smiling again after recognizing something else in his collection. i'm glad to have cass as a friend. i really do have a lot of good friends. i feel like george bailey.

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Keep the goodies coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

The dash in the 39 is from a 54 buick. It may have been used in other years, but that's just like the one in Dad's roadmaster.

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Wow! Cool stuff!

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

really neat collection. talked to cass awhile back, havent been able to get over to his place, but i have to. thanks rick

15. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

Man the Smithsonian is probably envious!!!

16. mohead1

mohead1

One man owning this much of totally over the top cool shit has got to be illegal somehow, lol......unbelievable......the money involved to make all that metal work and run has got to be a large pile

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Correction......DUAL TURBO Offy in a coupe! Stu

18. silent rick

silent rick

i don't recall any model A stuff. cass's stuff is all T based

19. silent rick

silent rick

ever since cass opened up his shop for the first tour, i've had others who couldn't make it ask me if there might be another tour in the works. i had discussed it with cass, but we never got around to setting it up.

then at a cruise night late summer, a friend was explaining the overhead conversion he saw down in indy. he was talking to the seller and had asked him where the head, a rutherford, was from. the seller believed it was made in whiting indiana. well my friend thought small world, that's right by us in nw indiana. so in telling this story out in the parking lot, before he could name the city that the guy had told him the head was made, another friend, warren erwin blurted out whiting. he said, oh yeah, slim rutherford, his shop was right off indianapolis blvd. my dad would take me there all the time. warren's dad was moose erwin, the racer.

that's when i started thinking, nw indiana is rich in early race history. you guys might remember the offy and miller tour at gary bridge and iron that i organized.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571188

cass has the #35 car from the era. nw indiana was home to roby speedway, a one mile dirt track from 1920-36. many local and nationally known racers went there. so with all this local history swirling in my mind, i approached cass with this idea. we would get local roby historian, jerry murawski to do his slide show presentation on roby. we'd order pizzas, give the guys some time to check out cass's stuff and then let jerry do his thing. around 50 people showed up. i believe everybody had a good time.

here's some pics.

[​IMG]

during jerry's slide show, the pic of the original marchese bros car that ran at roby appeared on the screen. here's cass's recreation of it.

[​IMG]

cass has the patterns for the gallivan twin cam conversion. this is another one that he's assembling

[​IMG]

the last time i updated this thread, i posted that cass had just acquired a 39 convertable with a dual quad caddy 331. he picked up another 39, a coupe this time with what else? another 331 caddy. only this one has three deuces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Amazing,simply amazing.

I have gone back and reread the entire thread,,Mr Cass is indeed a man that appreciates quality and preserving some rare pieces. HRP

21. silent rick

silent rick

i thought, what is this, multi-carburation row? a 283 with 3 deuces, dual quad 392, a 331 with 3 deuces and another with 2 fours.
    i liked it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. silent rick

silent rick

23. KStewart

KStewart

He has it all. God Bless Him. My wife needs to see this and maybe she will leave me alone now.:confused:

24. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

we really enjoyed looking at cass collection. he has got some neat stuff! that quarter midget that he has is the nuts. so cool that he kept all thes years. thanks rick for setting this up again. really kool.

25. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Both of my grandson's and I enjoyed the presentation by Jerry. It was a fantastic time. Thanks Cass for being a great host. Rick, thanks for keeping us up to date. Stu

26. RussTee

RussTee

Inspireationable would love to see further photos of the tee motors and their modifications it is rare to see as built cars and motors great stuff please show me more fantastic!!!!!

27. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Super interesting collection of cars engines and knowledge there I could learn so much that garage

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks for posting.... Very Cool!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Silent Rick

Thanks again for organizing the "Roby Speedway Show" and selecting my shop as the venue to present it. As usual your pictures and presentations are exciting to see. We all had a great time.

I do have one puzzling concern. How could 50 traditional hotrodders, most of them here on the Hamb, consume all that salty pizza and leave so much beer behind? Has there been a shift in the traditional hotrodder's code of behavior or are we facing some sort of secret government intervention attacking our precious bodily needs?

You guys are welcome here anytime. Pick up this beer--my liver can't take anymore.

cass

kidcampbell71 likes this.