Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ballast resistor, 62 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, May 31, 2006.

1. magnet

magnet

So, am i correct in thinking that there is no old style looking ballast resistor in a 62 chevy.. and that the ballast resistance is performed by the funky looking white wire (labeled in the schematic as 12v ballast resitor (white)) running from the coil to the pass thru block on the firewall.

Also, if i am putting in an electronic ingnition replacement kit.. ohhh lets say.. maybe Pertronix brand.. that i have to take out the funky looking white wire and replace it with a normal wire?

2. squirrel

squirrel

that wire is indeed the ballast reistor.

If the pertronix instructions say to remove the ballast resistor, then you do indeed need to either replace or bypass it.

3. Yes, the funky looking white wire is a resistor wire, used in place of a standard ballast resistor, and, yes, you'd probably be best advised to remove it from the harness and replace it with a regular wire if your replacement kit calls for a full 12 volts.

4. magnet

magnet

yup.. kit instructions say in regular english.. remove the ballast resistor.. :)

awesome.. so.. i am on my way to getting this thing running correctly.

Thanks guys

5. magnet

magnet

Got her running decently last night.. removed the wire.. re used the connector .. took apart the plug block and got the pin out of it and got the old wire uncrimped.. soldered in the new one.. looks like factory.

static timed it.. adjusted the carb righ.. got her running .. timed it .. re adjusted the carb and everything seems well.