Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ball park truck value.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Jun 22, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Took a side rode back from work and spotted a 1952 Chevy pick up in someones driveway. I remember it as a teen, and it looks to have never moved for at least 20+ years. So, I stopped and knocked on the door, no one answered. I didn't want to climb all over the truck without the home owner present, but did give it a quick once over from the car. It looks to be relatively solid. I'm sure the motor and brakes are shot.
    Anyway, I'm going back Tues. to see if I can catch the guy home. If he wants to sell, what's a workable truck like this worth? (I'll try to get pic.s when I go back)

2. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

I got a steal and wound up with one complete truck 4 cabs 2 frames a bunch of doors and some other stuff for $1,100... They aren't rare but they can sure be cool!!!

3. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Holy crap that is a deal!

4. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Really hard to say without seeing pictures…

They are pretty common and easy to find compared to early fords… I’ve found that they are also kinda hard to sell.

I paid $3500 for this one 6 years ago… I kept it a few years and sold it for about half of what I had in it.
    Most people think I overpaid… but it was pretty much completely original, untouched for the most part, and CRAZY SOLID… I loved that truck….

[​IMG]

I’m mostly into early fords, but for some reason I like these 47-53 trucks… I’ve chopped a few of them, but if I ever get another one…I’m gonna hold out for finding another really nice untouched original…and keep it that way for the most part.

5. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

The one I'm looking at is in very similar condition to yours. Was it a runner when you purchased it?

6. Meyer

Meyer

Assuming halfway solid but motor and brakes shot, I would say $1,000 to $1,500.

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I had that figure in my head also. Thanks for your input!

8. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Somewhat…you could start the engine up and let it run…but it still needed a good bit to get it roadworthy

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If it's been sitting as long as you imply there is a reason.

1. He's going to fix it up someday.

2. It belongs to his son and he's going to pick it up as soon as he
    gets settled in his new house in alaska.

3. The price he's asking will buy a new Lexus.

Let us know if he comes up with something origional that hasn't been mentioned.:)

Frank

10. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Yeah, you may be right. It's easily seen from the road, so I'm sure I'm not the first guy to come asking about it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

11. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I talked recently with a guy who for 15 years had two Studebakers setting in plain view of the road, and he told everyone who asked they weren't for sale.

Then one day he changed his mind and the next guy got both of them.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Don't go overboard on what you pay, there are plenty laying around.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I picked up a 53 in a trade. it had been sandblasted and shitty bodywork done on it as well as a crappy green paint job. it ran but it had a dead cylinder and when you shifted into second gear it popped and backfired and wouldn't go. also the brakes went out while I was driving and I rolled right out of a parking lot into the street. luckily no one was coming.

thing idled well and charged the battery and didn't overheat.

I put it on craigs list and it went for my asking price of $2000.00 the same weekend. dude made me an offer and I told him straight up the price is 2G's and if you don't want it I'll sell it to the next guy that calls.

these trucks are very popular. finding a solid one is getting harder to do for a good price.

it was just a crusty old farm truck that kind of ran. no major body problems but it really needed to be all redone as far as body and paint to be a nice truck. I'm kind of thinking a valve job would have repaired the motor troubles.

I figure if a person pays $2000.00 for a complete buildable truck needing everything you wouldn't do too bad. of course if you shop around you can eventually find a nice one for $500.00. just a matter of luck and being at the right place at the right time.

looking at the picture above mine was nowhere near as solid as that one