Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ball joints catalog

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bonez, Aug 14, 2012.

1. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I need to find a catalog that has ball joints listed by measures rather than by make and model.
    Is this possible?
    I really need to find upper arm b.joints with extra reach for my car as its too low for the oem ones. I posted on other boards with zero replies and i hope to find some here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only alternative i see, since theres no kits whatsoever with what im workin with, would be to bore the spindle mount holes and use diffrent/bigger ones, but of course i'd like to keep this as a last resort even if its no big deal.

Thanx in advance,

2. You can find that at the Napa counter.
    Listed by sizes and types.
    Good luck.

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Actually any "real" auto parts store. One that still has stacks of spec catalogs. Will have what you need.. Just look for the faded sign and the old guy behind the counter..

4. Roadsire

Roadsire

Now thats funny

5. squirrel

squirrel

I have an older Moog catalog and it does not have that info. Ball joints are made to fit a specific car, the mounting design is different on most of them. I don't even recognize the one in the picture, and you didn't say what it fits. I suppose I could try to find your other thread....or you could tell us more about it, if you want some help finding the part

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep,in 30+ years of pushing auto parts over the counter never saw any catalog the provided dimensions on BJs ,only lists of what they fitted.

7. AG F/C

AG F/C

Yep, Moog was great with publishing component data. I use their TRE rag all of the time. These ball joint sheets will come in handy too!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

well, the local parts stores refused to look for a set with the same measures as they all said its too much of a headache. I even (politeley) asked them to pass me the catalogs, and i'd do it myself, but they didnt allow me. Go figure. That upper balljoint is for a totally off topic '70 euro Ford, same as a Cortina, thats why i didnt post any details about it. Moog has the oem replacement for it, but not the ''unbreakable'' version. Mountin tab aint a problem, i can cut the actual BJ out and weld it to the old one. Would postin the measures of mine help?

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Get hold of a TRW catalog. It listed all the ball joints and the car models they fit. I bought this one on ebay, but sold it later on HAMB. Perhaps that buyer will respond to your post.

Attached Files:

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

sorry about the punctuation. Darned mobile pulls all the sentences togheter even thou i divided them while typing.

11. bob cutler

bob cutler

Not sure what your doing but, if the ball joints are mounted correct and fit the spindles right they shouldnt break.

12. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ the car is on hydraulics, and the BJs are mounted right, althou they dont have much reach, and they were never meant to go past the bump stop, but since the bumpstop didnt allow for the car to go very low at all, they have been removed. Of course now i run enuff coil to avoid maxing them out, but i'd like to solve this problem since the whole purpose of a lowrider is riding low ;) 19fordy, thanx, that looks real nice, ill look for it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

You need one of those old king pin and upright suspension setups like they had in the 40s-early 50s. Lots of travel.