Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65pacecar, Oct 15, 2016.

1. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pictures, nice cars. Any chance of a shot from the front of the mustard colored '34 sedan?

2. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I'll check. I have more on the other phone. Dead batteries last night. I hot some great video of the ring of Fire. Can you post video on here?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

4. No Time

No Time
    from Oregon

I doubt if there was 10% of the cars or the people at the Doubletree compared to prior years. I think the NHRA messed up when they advertised that the reception would be at the track and not the hotel. The "meet & greet" at the hotel just wasn't the same.
    The swap meet at the track also seemed down to me this year, and I heard rumbling from a couple vendors that there had been changes that weren't making them happy.
    The car count this year seems really good! Lots of great racers. The Geezer Gassers group is putting on a great show as they try to work with a track with a lot of traction. They were launching straight up in their first round, lots of fun to watch, but maybe not so good on the car.
    Overall it's still a great event and never to be missed..

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  5. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the '34 sedan frontal!

6. Great pics. What about some cackle cars? Bill Pitts should be there with the Magicar FED.

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

8. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

A few of my favorites from yesterday... so cool to see so many awesome period correct hot rods, Gassers, customs and drag cars all In one place! My phone died so I didn't get to take too many of the cacklefest cars. Will post some more tonight

Attached Files:

1947knuck and 47ragtop like this.
  9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Should be a bucket list thing for any car guy. Two years agoI was in my buddy's swap space, when he yelled out Hey Ed, c'mere and meet these guys! Yep, the Camfather cruising by in a golf cart, hung out for a while and checked out ALL the parts. So last year we got to the reception a little early and shagged the two seats in the front row, corner of the entrance aisle. A while later this gal in bright blue brushed past me, then turned sideways and smiled- as soon as she turned in profile, I knew- every hotrodder's dream girl. Sat down right there, and pretty soon Camfather came in and sat across from her. And she is absolutely the most gracious and sweet person that you've always heard she was. There was a little four year old girl running around, and Linda started playing with her like it was her grandchild. Lots of other famous folks running around, but I was kinda focused right in front of me lol...
    Go early in the morning so you can see the A/FX cars run- some serious doorslammers there. That's my usual hangout, just can't make it this year. Wanna see a mid-8 second steel bodied 61 Starliner? Dave Franklin's Old Yeller. Larry Knapp's beautiful SOHC Mustand. Ernie the Attorney knockin' on the 8-second door with a single 4V Windsor in his 66 Fairlane. One that won't make it due to not enough shakedown time with the fresh engine, Jim Gonia's 66 Fairlane with a 496 High Riser that is making 1,087 hp on carbs- ran 8.80's last year with the old 912 hp combo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vjIprR6Zlpw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Few more...

Attached Files:

1947knuck and 47ragtop like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you put the videos on YouTube then you can copy and paste them here.

12. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

13. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

15. I've got a lot of memories from that place and all of them are good. Dig it.

Big Daddy Choppitt likes this.
  16. kratebike

kratebike

17. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Some cackle cars...

Attached Files:

1947knuck, 47ragtop and 550Coupe like this.
  18. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

A few more...

Attached Files:

1947knuck, 47ragtop and 550Coupe like this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

awesome pics

20. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Is "the ring of fire" something new?
    KK

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Thanks to all who posted who pics & videos. Add me to the list of people who wish they could of gone even though (like most events) it's changed..

Haven't been there in a few years now, does anyone know when they added the stands on the east side of the track?

And what ever happened with the tower?

22. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

23. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

The stands on the east side have been there for quite awhile can't remember exactly when but I'd say at least 5 years the tower was rebuilt before the march meets last year

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Had a great time. Reminds me of going to the drag strip as a kid with my dad in the late 70s And early 80s before it really changed. Also reminded me of why I used to love going to the drag strip and watching it on TV and why I can't stand the current NHRA. Some great guys there, beautiful REAL cars, and it was great to hear Dave McClelland announcing again.

Thanks to all who provided tips and adviceon going to the show. Well worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app