Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bakersfield B-Sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 19, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Bakersfield B-Sides

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

El Mirage this weekend,,, maybe,,,,

Should have planned the Reunion,,,,

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

IS THERE A LIVE FEED TO WATCH THIS???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good stuff. Thanks, Joey!

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Joey, there is nothing to compare this event to, actually it's an extravaganza that has to be experienced first hand to appreciate it.
    Over a twenty year period I ventured south for the CHRR from here in the great wet north, can't remember but did the "Bako Chingo" probably a dozen times, old high school pal moved there years ago so always had a home away from home for three or four days. Always looked forward to it but it kind of lost its shine since the suits at NHRA started mucking things up.
    As recent as a month ago I got an invitation that was really hard to say no to but the old legs and feet just don't have what it takes to do everything that Famoso offers.
    It's photos like you and others post that keeps all the memories from past events fresh.
    I stopped taking my camera because it became difficult to get shots with so many people at every turn, but like your b-sides, it's those little detail shots that I always like going back and looking at.
    Thanks J

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. NOTE: This is a photo of Roger @riceman Lee's recreation of Jim Brissette's 1964 ½ Woody Gilmore Top Fuel Dragster.

Roger has his "Kelly Brown" version of the Jim Brissette AA/FD at the CHRR this weekend:

Roger Lee's Jim Brissette 'Backmotor' Top Fuel Dragster (Kelly Brown version).jpg
    Roger Lee's Jim Brissette 'Backmotor' Top Fuel Dragster.jpg
    Roger Lee's Jim Brissette Cackle Car ("Kelly Brown" version)

Kelly Brown driving the Jim Brissette Top Fuel Dragster.jpg
    Kelly Brown behind the wheel of the Jim Brissette Fueler

Paul Sutherland in Jim Brissette's Top Fuel Dragster at Famoso.jpg
    Paul Sutherland smoking the hides in the Brissette AA/FD at Famoso

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Captures @J.Ukrop and thanks for your views on this hub in the wheel of things. Definitely lots of things to catch the eye in this colorful Sport/Hobby...

I had a little chuckle with the soup Can covers. I went back to take another look at thinking what was their favorite soup at the track...Nitro Chili, Nitro Broth...:D...then I thought did Warhol have a hand in those...

catdad49, J.Ukrop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

The nitro soup cans used as header caps were a stroke of whimsical genius. How could anybody not smile after first spotting them?

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

I spotted those cans, too. I wonder if a can would cure what ailed ya!? B-sides, always played those as a teen (45's for you younger people), some were just as Good as the A-sides! More if ya got em, Joey. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.

10. Soups On.jpg
    Soup's On!

11. jnaki

jnaki

SATURDAY AT THE DRAGS
    upload_2018-10-27_4-51-22.png
    Hey J,

Great story and reminiscence of the Ridge Route… We were our own “Ridge Route Terrors”, in 1960 and ever since. That long uphill climb was a killer on all cars. The winding road from LA to the flatlands was a contrast in driving and scenery, for sure. It is like an opened flood gate once that long downhill drive begins and ends up on a totally flat land below.

Nice B/W “artistic” photo of that cool C/Gas Willys Coupe. The B/W photo looks like what our next level of our 40 Willys would have looked like, before the yellow paint. The rear radius wheel wells, the big M&H slicks, the Halibrands in front, all were the popular set up for the 1960-64 era in the Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes. Of course, our Willys build/race stopped at the end of summer in 1960.

So, we never got to the Nationals or the following Bakersfield March Meet in 1961. But, these photos always bring back the memories of what would or could have happened in the next level. That is what the CHRR Events are supposed to do for the racers and fans, bring back those memories.

Jnaki

The recent events are hampered with the need for the umpteenth level of safety, which it should be. But, those old style, gas coupes and sedans were at one time, fully street legal and street driven. Then as the need for speed arose, the rules became a little relaxed and the full race equipment began to show up on the “street legal” classes. Finally, since they looked like full race cars, they were grouped together with others and then, eventually, were gone from the events.

At one time, the stock class was strict and any little thing or modification from factory specs moved those “stock” cars to the Gas Coupe/Sedan Classes. It seemed like it was the same story for the street legal Gas Coupe/Sedan Classes. Any little modification and those cars were moved to the Altered classes. Then they disappeared.

The NHRA/CHRR? That is another story.

A So Cal special:

One of my favorite t-shirts is a Bakersfield Smokers t-shirt that is a classic. This Smokers, black t-shirt still draws comments when I wear it around So Cal. Some people do not forget, others ask why I have a SMOKERS t-shirt on in this politically different climate in So Cal. They probably think that I have not given any other thought of no smoking in cities and restaurants in So Cal. It takes all kinds...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.