Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bagging the Rear of a '51 Chevy Hardtop???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evil Wicked Mean & Nasty, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Has anyone on the board bagged the rear of a '51 Chevy Hardtop or similar car using the trailing arms off a '60's- early '70's Chevy truck? I may be way off base here but it seems like a good way to get rid of the tube and the leaf springs at the same time. Whittle up a few brackets and a cross member and your almost there. I know a triangulated 4 link's the way to go but trailing arms are cheap, (like me.) Pro's, Con's, Opinions??? Please.

Oh, by the way, I have searched and gleened a little useful info on the topic of trailing arms etc..., but, I need to come right out and ask for some first hand knowledge.

2. Poopy

Poopy
    from abbotsford

Well thats kinda what im working on right now, but im just putting coil springs in for the time being until I can afford to do airbags.

Here is my crossmember

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frame notch, still needs to be plated on the sides:

[​IMG]
    New stance
    [​IMG]
    And the big let down.......

Coil springs for now until i can afford airbags....

[​IMG]

3. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

this is chopstix 51,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Two outstanding examples, thanks guy's. Hey Poopy, I love frame layin' four door Fleetline's and you have mad fab. skills, chopstix 51 too. I'm still up in the air on this one. My original plan was pure hot rod with a stout Poncho 400 engine and TH-400 but the more of 'em I see parked on the rockers the more distracted I get, (not like that's hard to do anyway.) I already have a MII bolt in front cross member for it and I figured that would be pretty straight forward to bag up and so I figured I'd explore the possibilities before I proceed. I still got a few things in line in front of this one anyway. Keep 'em coming guy's, I need all the input I can get.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

there's a few pics of mine in this thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233183&referrerid=309

also, search here for nascar or truck arm and you'll find many threads where the merits of the setup are discussed. this suspension works very well behind power BTW. you can have a hot rod sled.