Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bagging a 60-66 Chevy Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Apr 3, 2006.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

What's it going to take to lay one out? Can the stock rear trailing arms be used? How much of a frame notch in the rear? Who sells the best dropped spindles? Any mods to the front suspension or crossmembers? Any pics of air suspension setups on these trucks?

Planning to use Firestone 224c or Superlift 13" bags on all 4 corners, an Engine Driven Compressor, 8-gallon tank, 4 SMC valves for Front/Back only and 1/2" DOT line. I'm guessing a 10" frame notch/bridge would be sufficient out back.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

3. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

check out ''63 chevy c10 project progress pics"thread, gambino kustoms

also 73-87 chevy 1/2 ton front clip will fit right in that truck,3 of the 4 bolt holes will line right up just have to drill one hole.with drop spindles youd be good to go.

4. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

itll lay out with that clip without z the frame or sectioning the x member?

5. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

6. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

7. Mootz

Mootz

8. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

Not to step on Knuckles', um.. Toes, but I did the bags on that thing way before she made the long journey up north.

On that truck I used the stock rear trailing arms and put two 2500lbs Firestone dobble convoluted bag in the stock spring location. For a "C" notch I used 5" steele pipe cut & layed into the frame and then boxed. The only major thing I did in the back was relocate the rear panhard to a high mounting position to inside the frame on the driverside & installed an adjustable panhard.

On the Front I used the same bags and simply plated the upper spring pearch & the lower "A" arm so the bag had a nice smooth surface to rest. To get it a little lower I uses 2" drop spindles for a '71 Chevy Half ton (For Disc Brakes)

I have some pictures I put up later... Good Luck.

Barn Yard

Attached Files:

• 6-4P.jpg
      6-4P.jpg
      File size:
      44.5 KB
      Views:
  9. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Gambino Kustoms C10 thread with pics

10. jasonrmorrow

jasonrmorrow
    from Calgary

You'll need a healthy notch out back, around 10-14" and have to move the bedfloor up or cut out the floor for the notch and diff to clear.

The stock trailing arms can be used, migh have to move the bags forward towards the cab to get a decent amount of lift... a watts link works best to keep the rear centred, or go 4 link.

In the front...dropped spindles on a 1.5" sectioned 73-87 crossmember and smallish cups will get you low, but you'll have to skid plate the control arms to keep em for more than a month and cut the inner fenders to clear the tires.

If you just wanna be low but not laying rocker...i'm going with the pipe notch, bags in stock location out back with an adjustable panhard...stock crossmember up front woth 2.5" dropped spindles and 2 or 3" cups i can't remember. Thatll get you about 3-4" at the rocker.

This is the setup i'm gonna run, this truck has the sectioned x-member but the front end is resting on the tires in the pic so the extra drop isn't really there at all. This is the stance i will have.

[​IMG]

11. Mootz

Mootz

12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

This is a '62 pickup...so I guess we're screwed with the torsion bar setup. Will the 73-87 front end still bolt up? I've got one.

13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

it should i did a 60 panel that was torsion bar about 8 yrs ago.

14. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

15. synthsis

synthsis

hit up Dave at Metal 713-477-3733. he's the end all to hammering trucks to the ground. he's just outside of Austin too.

16. specialk

specialk

The people that I've talked to about this say to yank the torsion bars and bag the front (along with the drop spindles). It's actually supposed to be easier than a non-torsion truck since you can mount the bags where the springs would be without having to remove the springs, cut out all the old mounts, etc. (Note, this is just what I've heard).

www.chevytalk.org has a 60-66 forum, do a search (look for Keith65 for more info)

17. jasonrmorrow

jasonrmorrow
    from Calgary

Better yet go to 67-72chevytrucks.com, they have a suspension forum, chevytalk is for "CPP and LMC" Kits to be bolted on, no one wants to talk about doing things the hard way, and there are much more knowledgeable people out there than the feller mentioned on chevytalk...thats all i'm gonna say.