Register now to get rid of these ads!

baggin stock suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bn48chevy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i have read many pages of info on putting air bags on but nowhere have i found any info on why noone puts air bags on there stock suspension on 47-48 chevy fleetlines i have mine all torn apart and was looking at it today thinking why couldn't i replace the front springs and install bags in there place and add some extra strenth to the original parts? does this not work am i missing something or why can't i find any info on this? i have seen that people have done the 50 and 51 chevy cars this way....
    any help would be greatly appreciated...thanx in advance

2. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

i can't be the first person to wonder this someone has to have some info for me????

3. sawzall

sawzall

i think the trouble will be that the stock springs on those cars are small diameter.. and the hole in the crossmember would need to be enlarged to fit most bags..

however, we are essentially doing the same thing to tokyo's 49 merc, but the merc had a larger hole for the airspring..

otherwise I think it would work.

4. bn48chevy

bn48chevy
    from nd

so the only problem or reason people dont' t do it is because the pockets for the bags is not big enough? i am sure someone on hear has tried this? please help as i am about to order by bag setup

5. sawzall

sawzall

i would guess yes.. either way though.. if it doesnt work out you can use your bags on something else..

6. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

7. bward76

bward76

I bagged my 48 stylemaster with a mII tube a arm kit. The bags are larger than the original springs. My big concern would be, are you willing to trust a 60 year old a-arm that has been cut out. Another consideration is what kind of added weight are you putting on the front end that was intended for an in line 6. I.e..small block, big block? Are you keeping the stock knuckle shock set-up? If so, does it have the travel you need? Not trying to be negative but just some food for thought.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC