Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bagged 55 Buick build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EVL401, Feb 6, 2015.

1. EVL401

EVL401

Also, before engine mounts welded in I made 2 small oval sections & filled holes in. They would have been underneath where engine mounts were welded so got more surface area for my welds!!

Attached Files:

2. EVL401

EVL401

So this is Whst the engine mounts look like tig welded in place. Sorry for the lack of updates have been busy mucking round with the front end!! More pics to come....

Attached Files:

3. EVL401

EVL401

Gday again HAMBers!! Past few weeks I've worked very closely with a good mate to redesign the front end making it bigger & better upgrading everything as we go. Using a modified 55 Buick hub we have managed to upgrade the bearings to quality tapered type. This was no easy task. The hubs had to be modified on a lathe, various spacers machined & a lot of fine tuning with the engineer who machined the spacers.

Why the hell did we go to all the trouble u ask? As we are modifying front disc brakes from a 2000 model Holden Commodore (which run a factory sealed & pressed hub) we decided that whilst modifying the hub anyway to fit inside the disc rotor that a bearing upgrade would be a good idea. The old ones were absolutely shot & needed to be replaced anyway. I'm very glad we did the upgrade but man it took some time to nail the design!!

All sleeves/spacers were set in place using a primer & a special retainer adhesive. Then bearings greased & slipped into place. Tomorrow we start the brake caliper bracket setup - like previously stated I've never attempted any of these modifications before so please bare with me as I'm learning as I go!!

Hope these pics & info I'm documenting here will benefit some of you considering a similar conversion. It's costly if you don't have a lathe (like me) however the amount I'm learning at the moment from all this is worth it's weight in gold. More pics to come!!

Attached Files:

4. EVL401

EVL401

Mock up stage......

Attached Files:

5. Cool to see the progress, and paying attention to your challenges and results. So which bearings & seal did you end up using? Any real reason for the commo rotor over adapting a hq hub/rotor ? Offset different?
    keep at it,
    Drewfus

6. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I put the 401 with the rear sump pan on my 1955 Buick along with a Turbo 400 switch pitch transmission and a 1962 Buick rear end housing.
    Scarebird makes a complete adapter kit for putting disc brakes on a 55 Buick that I used for my conversion. $150.00 total cost then all new rotors, bearings and calipers was another $800.00.

EVL401 likes this.
  7. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Here are a couple pictures of my 55 Buick and 53 Boles Aero trailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. EVL401

EVL401

Thanks for the kind words & advice gentlemen!! Drewfus I used Timken tapered bearings & a very thin seal at the rear. The empty bearing boxes are in the garage but I'd be than happy to pass on the size & details of them & also the spacers neccessary to complete this conversion a bit later. Like I said I haven't driven it yet so will have to wait & see if it was all worth it!! I stuck with my stock 15" Buick rim over a HQ rim/bearing setup as I needed the bigger rim to clear the VT front disc/caliper combination. We designed it so offset still exactly the same using Buick hubs with the rivots from the drums drilled & punched out. Have almost finished the VT commodore front disc caliper mounts today will post few pics bit later!!

9. EVL401

EVL401

Also thanks very much Crazyolman for your info wouild be interested to see some build pics of your sweet ride!! Funny u should mention those figures because that's very close to what my front bearing/front disc conversion owes me.

10. EVL401

EVL401

Caliper is fully mounted & bearings functional. Winning!!!!

Attached Files:

Drewfus likes this.
  11. Stud pattern? Commodore is metric. Seems close to HQ/GM, but is different.

12. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

EVL401 likes this.
  13. EVL401

EVL401

Awsome thanx Crazyolman will jump on & have a good look!! Have kept Buick stud pattern we drilled the VT commo disc & machined the hub to suit. Pretty trick for something you'll never even see!! All worth it in the end

14. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Hope it helps.

EVL401 likes this.
  15. EVL401

EVL401

Got both caliper mounts fabricated & bolted up. Discs run true & pads locate perfect. Well happy with how they've turned out. Will bolt them into the car then once I work out the different steering geometry the calipers will be overhauled & everything painted. Progress is good peeps!!

Attached Files:

LONG likes this.
  16. EVL401

EVL401

Pretty happy this morning!! Mocked up the front end on one side. Been a long time coming to get to this point !! Slam RE6 bags sitting in the custom made bag plates, Fatman 2" drop spindles with new kingpins, all new bushes throughout, fully machined stub axle spacers in with modified hub to take upgraded Timken bearings, VT commodore front disc rotors & twin piston calipers, blasted & painted wheels the list goes on!! Up next gotta fab the shock in the somehow, install Airide height sensors & possibly make/modify some steering arms or tie rods. Anyone ever made some streering arms for this sort of setup?? Would love to hear from you!!

Attached Files:

17. EVL401

EVL401

Anyone out there installed aftermarket power steer rack setup to a 55 Buick? Bit unsure as to how much clearance steering arms will have.....

Attached Files:

18. badsco

badsco

EVL401 likes this.
  19. Mario Colalillo's 55 cadillac has a modified commodore rack in it. According to Cruzin magazine (Oct 03) and Street Machine (sept 03) it was modified by Terry Cartwright and the RHD conversion engineered by Wayne Colquhoun. I don't know where you can contact them but some of the work was done at Bonnyrigg Smash . Neil Bakers 57 Buick also has a commodore rack fitted and that was done by Terry's Chassis Shop in Auckland NZ. These guys may be able to give you some leads in the right direction.
    Doug Breden in Wellington has a 55 Buick with a modified Ed Juniors Kustom rides front end and is using a Subaru power rack, article in NZ Rodder (May 2014).
    Send me a message if I can help further.

EVL401 likes this.
  20. EVL401

EVL401

Thanks heaps Badsco & 56Buickboy I really appreciate the help!! The cadillac build thread link was a great read & very interesting to say the least in regards to steering setup.

21. EVL401

EVL401

Many apologies for the lack of updates lately bloody life always gets in the way! Doesn't help that I'm prepping our other car for paint either!! So anyway enough excuses; I've finally found some time to sandblast, paint & fit the brakes, drop spindles, steering arms & front hub assemblies & damn it looks good in hi gloss black!! I've used POR15 paint outta the spray gun in a mates booth & I'm very happy with the results...

Attached Files:

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. EVL401

EVL401

I've fully rebuilt the VT Commodore front calipers with new paint, seals, pistons etc

Attached Files:

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. EVL401

EVL401

Both sides assembled with Airride RE6 bags sitting on freshly painted bag plates...

Attached Files:

31hotrodguy and Drewfus like this.
  24. EVL401

EVL401

So, as u can see I've hit a pickle; when the front bags are fully aired out the tie rod end is 3" from the steering arm whilst on full lock!! Got few options now (and please feel free to comment). I could bend the steering arm down, however I believe it'd shorten it & the point at which the tie rod bolts to it. I could also get some new steering arms made. Hhmmm decisions decisions!!

Attached Files:

25. make some from plate with a drop to suit. Use some quality thick plate (not just 250 grade), and you should get the bulk of the way there.
    Ideally you'd adapt something factory, thinking early F100, what are the mounting bolt size and centres, and ideal arm length (and drop)?

26. EVL401

EVL401

Just been mucking round with steering all arvo. With bag fully deflated the tie rod end will ever so slightly touch the chassis. To get round this problem I'm going to run a lower arm bumpstop. I was told to bend my steering arm however engineers in Australia are very crucial towards bending or welding or heating any suspension/steering component. Happy days!!

Attached Files:

27. why don't you make an stout adaptor plate that allows you to drop the arms down an inch?

EVL401 likes this.
  28. EVL401

EVL401

[QUOTE: why don't you make an stout adaptor plate that allows you to drop the arms down an inch?

Thats a top idea mate will look into that!! Cheers!!

29. ConstantCustoms

ConstantCustoms

I'm working on my '53. Kinda along the same lines, deciding what suspension to upgrade to, engine swap, chop the top, different glass (replacement or fab in another model). Lots of ideas out here!

EVL401 likes this.
  30. EVL401

EVL401

IMG_7526.JPG

Longest gap between posts ever!! Apologies for the updates as life has gotten in the way. On the home stretch now!! Brand new motor/box/diff/Brakes/tailshaft/exhaust etc are all done, painted & in the car. More pics to come!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Drewfus likes this.