Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bad to run straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, May 10, 2016.

1. I knew a guy who did that back in 1980... on purpose!

2. stimpy

stimpy

also they idled them down for a few minutes which help take the heat off the valves , by grandfather who was USAAF told me the guys when they came back from a sortie those pipes would often glow red and be shooting flames but a few minutes idling from the runway to the pad they would cool off as they richened the mixture up ( they ran lean home to save on fuel or to get home ) .
    and also if you look closely on some of the Merlin equipped motors they flattened the pipes down or fishtailed them on some planes which also helped with pushing them this is a Spitfire Merlin [​IMG] ..and also merlins dumped 2 ports ( 1 cylinder ) into a y shaped pipe which constricted at the opening on a mustang[​IMG]

as for running a 6' section of straight pipe isn't gonna hurt a thing other than someones ear drums , but on the lincoln welders at the shipyard we ran them with 18" of 2" straight pipe off the manifolds but they ran at a constant speed and had a rain cap on them and them ford straight sixes were music under load ..

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So you ask for advice for exhaust, can you post some pictures of the frame, because I don't plan to come half way around the world to help you save 400 bucks lol

I would say that you can bolt up a very nice exhaust with pre bend exhaust tubing and clamps. So just go for it.
    And if the "more holes then pipe" won't hurt valves, why would a home made straight pipe in the full length of the car.

And with enough pipe, it quiets it down some, but a long thin glass pack/cherry bomb makes it "quite" at cruising speed and idle, but gives a nice "buzzing" when you stomp it.

Have you been to auto zone yet? :D

I like it when P'n'B says something intelligent, it always wakes people up, and the corny little insult always make dry stuff readable!
    But I find it funny you remember high school chemistry, because I wonder what you weird brain has trown out to remember that B)

The blood takes up CO roughly 10x easier then O2, that's why you need long straight pipes to leed it as far back a possible, and just loud enough for people to stay back :D

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  4. LOL if you only knew what I have stuffed into my brain over the years you would be really amazed. Some of that stuff causes dain bramage, leastways that's what I been told. :eek: :D

@stimpy mentioned something that I usually avoid when I make a bad statement about 6s and straight pipes or splits. The Ford 6 is sweet sounding, unlike the GM 6s that sound like a piper cub. I have never compared the firing order to see if it is different but the Ford 6 seems to have a distinct sound all its own. The 300"er with an ever so slight compression boost, a mild cam and twice pipes is like the organ in an English Cathedral.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Been running open headers for last 5 yrs. or so. Every time I think I need to put mufflers on, I fire it up, go for a ride and feel like I'm a teenager again. Hell, it's not much louder than some of these "bikes" on the road. Probably should put mufflers on it though,....Nah!

jeffd1988 likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm just curious where your getting your $5-600 price from.

Every red neck truck in town with an 18 year old behind the wheel wouldn't have flow masters and dual exhaust if it cost that damn much, and your caddy has way more of a straight shot to the bumper. Tell us what city
    You live in and someone can recommend a good shop and you can get a real quote.

Seriously I thought it'd be a fortune and it cost me less then buying what your talking about buying. I think your either laboring under the false impression that every pickup has zillion dollar exhuast or that you'd caddy needs stainless tail pipes or something

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Fender1325

Fender1325

Guys, at risk of flying off the handle and insulting people, Ive revised my response here.

I asked if straight pipe would hurt my engine. I got my answer, Thank You.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Animalstake in oxygen (air) and emit co2. Plants take in co2 and emit oxygen. Burning fuel in a car or anything emits Carbon Monoxide. carbon Monoxide is deadly the everything including planrs. CO2 and Carbon Monoxide are two different things.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That was established previously in this thread several times.
    The OP should also realize that if he can't afford to fix the car so that it is safe to drive then he shouldn't be driving it.
    It isn't just about whether or not straight pipes will hurt his engine.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know it was answered, but a thought a well plan joke, and a subtle question would get you to open up and tell us if it was fixed? If so how it was done.
    I hope you enjoy that nice caddy with a cheap and descent system on there.

And it's common knowledge for all the old timers, and the semi-oldtimers on here that it's okay to make fun of 3w Larry or porknbeaner, but all in good spirits. They are two knowledgeable guys, and when it comes to cheap, fast and hiding how smart you are, nobody matches porknbeaner!

And the CO comment ain't to be taken lightly, that stuff is dangerous, and when some has the right mentality towards old cars, we are all obliged to tell you that your safety comes first!!
    And if you pass out in the middle of traffic, that will have no good outcome for you and your car.

FYI I know what it feels like to be around 30, low on funds and neck deep in old cars, with all the love and mental issue that follows in its path. And being so much joy, heartache and pocketache!

Keep at it, lad!

captaintaytay likes this.
  11. Now I have a quick question, HD's with straight pipes make less power and Make popping sounds? I have seen them add bolts and cones to help cure this, is it because there is too much velocity and is pulling the incoming charge during cam overlap?

12. Fender1325

Fender1325

Every redneck in town isnt driving a 50's cadillac. Theyre driving a 1990 silverado or the equivalent. Parts are plentiful and cheap for chevy, ford trucks.

The 50 has a crossover pipe that runs from the driver manifold to the passenger manifold and Y's off into a single pipe, through the X frame, muffler, out back.

USA parts supply has a new exhaust system for around $400 after shipping. I imagine Id spend 100-200 having it installed - its extremely rusted together so theyd have a time getting that old Y pipe off I imagine.

Anyhow, not gonna happen, hence a cheap fix for now.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's me, and it is P51 Mustang.

14. Yea I couldn't remember the number and google said it was 32. LOL

I think you can google P any number and Mustang and get the p51. :oops: :D

If valves are going to warp it is more likely while they are cooling off that is one reason people used to cap their short pipes.

I used to stick a rubber ball in my carburetor on the bike before I thought that air cleaners were cool. I had a guy ask me once if it was to keep it from warping a valve ( dummy right?) and I said nope its to keep the birds out.

It has to do with pipe length as to weather they make less power or not. For example optimum length for a 74" Shovel basically stock is 40". When you hear them am making a poppin noise is is because air is getting into the pipe before the end of the pipe usually it will be a bad gasket on a shovel or a loose connection on an older bike.

The newer bikes like late EVOS and Twin cams are computer controlled and they don't take well to pen exhaust so they pipes usually have some sort of a baffle in them. it has to do with the computer program controlling the ignition and intake charge.

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok that makes since. Yes, if you buy a pre bent set and have it installed it will cost you more. Shoot I bet the shipping alone would suck.

However, any competent exhaust shop has a bender and will bend your exhaust up on the spot. Many of them have a Y pipe/ cross over as well, they don't just have s giant rack of ore bent parts for this kind of car or that kind of car.

It does help when you go to a shop that does more old cars than new cars because they are more familiar with working on them but honest to god if you laid the single exhaust from a Chevy pickup next to the single exhaust from a 1940 something or other I bet you couldn't tell which is for which.

I'm fine with you runing straight pipes, fuck the haters it's your car. im just trying to get you to get a quote from a shop that actually builds exhaust.

I spent $200 and easily 15 hours making my system from pre bent parts and clamps and it leaked and fit weird.

I finally sucked it up and went to the shop. As soon as the 38 ford got off the rack they put mine up and built me a full exhaust in about 40 minutes for $150 and it's been rock solid and leak free since. I'm not opposed to doing stuff yourself I just really think you'd save some money and time having it done by a shop you trust.

30's,40's, 50's or 2016's they all use the same exhaust pipe it's not some weird exotic stuff.

I just stick in this issue because I felt like a real jerk off for trying to save money and do it myself only to have be cheaper and a thousand times better to have it done

Fender1325 likes this.
  16. You need two things to be a successful patron of the retail trade. One is knowledge of what you are looking for and the other is a deep heartfelt determination to not pay retail.

About 4 years ago I walked into the local bike shop and asked about a discount on parts. they laughed I at me and I never bothered to say good bye or kiss my ass or nothing. I just turned and walked out, I walked into another shop that was closer and asked about a discount, they asked what I would do if I got one and I told them bring my business in. They give me a healthy discount today.

No one gives you their best price up front. You have to be bold enough to suggest that there must be a better price. If they get all huffy about it just go someplace else, someone wants your business and the business of all your friends.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Fender1325

Fender1325

I just bought a water pump rebuild kit for my 56 cadillac. All the parts were great, but un-announced to the customer - when you open the package you get instructions stating the new impeller must be machined to work, or if you use your original impeller, that must be machined to mate up with their new seal. If the package is opened - no returns allowed no matter what. Well gee, I just spent $100 on a rebuild kit when I couldve mailed my pump in and had it rebuilt for $160. Swell deal there! Thanks a whole lot. Couldve bought a brand new water pump for 210. No returns allowed because the "gaskets may shrink". Fucking horse shit, and par for the course with cadillac parts dealers unfortunately.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ouch, out of curiosity who did you buy it from?

19. Fender1325

Fender1325

Cadillac Parts Ltd.

Their rebuild kit seems to be a quality kit, but it sure wouldve been nice if they state on the website it requires machining to the impeller for it to work, rather than have that information inside a sealed bag that is immediately non refundable the second you open it.

20. It is possible to tune EFI Harley's to run straight pipes and they can actually be made to run better than carbureted bikes with straight pipes, but the tuner had damn well better understand what is really going on and map every cell to get them to respond.

Either way, for anything short of a Drag Bike (Narrow RPM range and only WFO) a mufflered pipe or better yet, well designed 2 into 1 will out perform straight pipes every time.

Fender1325 likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good time to meet a local machinist I guess :/

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

After reading all the hub-bub in this entire thread, I just have to say, that you're definitely in over your head. You cannot own a Caddy, and expect to fix it up to any decent degree, and be cheap at the same time. I don't care what your circumstances are, or how they got that way, you've got the wrong car for your way of life.
    First off, ANY old car is going to cost money to fix it up and keep it going. How much it costs, depends on a lot of things. Your time, your talent, your skills, your tools, your equipment, your garage space, your friends, your local contacts. The more you have of these, the cheaper possible outcome of building your car.
    Second, a Caddy is one of the most expensive cars to fix up. Parts, size, exclusivity, all work against your budget. EVERYTHING is going to cost more. Get yourself a Chevy, or Ford, parts are easier to get, cheaper, and more interchangeable. Easier to swap out to modern equipment, too. More availability to find things that will work in the cars. Even easier to diagnose most things (ever deal with Caddy wiring?)
    I applaud you for trying to keep and drive an old car, but this is not the one for you. And you might try listening to the older guys, without the attitude and you might learn some valuable things. Until you build up your tools and equipment, and your skill in using them, It's going to cost to have outside people fix things for you. You CAN do things right on a budget, but you don't know enough yet how to make it happen.
    And before you rag on me for being a Gold Chainer, or a checkbook rodder, or a know nothing opinionated old guy, let me tell you this..... I built my first hot rod 57 Chevy while going to school on a student loan, and working at a Burger King. I traded off my labor for work I could not accomplish myself, due to lack of skill, or tools/machinery. I helped friends, and they helped me. I apprenticed at a local body shop, that I found was owned by the best custom painter in the area. Worked for practically nothing to learn and eventually gain enough trust to be able to use the shop at night on my own car. I built this custom at 23 years of age, in my driveway (except for the chop, which my boss and his cronies helped, and using a friend's shop to shoot the paint) Just out of college, did NOT have a good job yet, but I had enthusiasm, energy, friends, and was willing to do anything to accomplish my goals.
    You can do it if you try hard enough.

Attached Files:

rytang, bobg1951chevy and SDhotrod like this.
  23. I ran a near stock 2 into one on my pan for a while, only difference was the muffler. Even with the hot rod muffler it was still hush quiet at cruise and I picked up close to five miles to the gallon.

I have considered a collector for the shovel, but I would have to really crunch some numbers to give my header guy something to plug into his formula. ;)

Oh and just to debunk a myth loud pipes do not save lives. If they did I would have a lot more brothers my age. If they can't see ya they won't hear ya. Always keep your head on a swivel.

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm building this engine (Chevy stovebolt 235 inline six) with this exhaust system (C2 Corvette smallblock sidewinder pipes) under the running boards. I have no idea what this will sound like. It may sound so bad to me that I end up with something else but that's hotrodding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Only you get stopped by the Police

26. I've always said - "If Loud Pipes Save Lives, How Come All the BMW and Gold Wing Riders aren't Dead?"

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Exactly. Prior to Gasahol it was common knowledge that gasoline and alcohol don't mix, end of the day all the loud pipes in the world won't save ya if you party too hardy and get on the road.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Fender1325

Fender1325

B
    Buddy, I own 2 50's cadillacs and have for a couple years. You think anything you said I dont know? Cars take time to do to any degree. Congratulations you built a chevy however many decades ago (when they were even cheaper) in your 20's. Dont tell anybody what car they can or cant own. I'll build my car with my money however I please. I asked if straight pipes hurt valves, not a souls opinion on cadillacs or their exhausts or anything of the like. "Ya might learn somethin if ya listen to your elders without that attitude sonny jim!" Get out of here with that bullshit.

29. Fender1325

Fender1325

Honestly.....admins just please delete this thread. Its annoying as shit.