Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad Problems with my 216...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rattlepopbang, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

I was driving and after about 3-4 miles it would just die acting like a fuel /ignition problem.I knew my carb was going south so I replaced it.After I replaced the carb it would idle great but when I gave it gas on a load it would snap crackle pop badly.Knowing the carb is good I than moved to the ignition.I replaced plugs,wires,points,condenser,coil and tested everything and all is good with the ignition system.Its still doing the same thing even worse now.IDles than snap crackle pop.Idles but when you gas it or rev it doesnt like it at all.Im thinking internally now and this is not my best subject.So the carb is new and fuel system fine,everything in the ignition is new and fine and now im lost.SO now im at valves,springs,lifters dunno .Any hints guys

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

How long has it been doing this??

3. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

It just started the not being able to gas it thing,but has been backfiring and sputtering for a while.I knew the carb was crapping out and thought that would do it.It would be fine for a while on the road and than start the snap crackle pop and wouldnt rev.I would stop ,retstart it,and it be ok for a few minutes and than start backfiring and sputtering again when I gassed it.When it does this itll idle beautifully but wont rev and as soon as you gas it it starts the cracking backfiring,and popping.My carb was bad anyway so thats why I initally thought thats what it was and replaced it.It did run smoother and idle 100% better after the carb but when I pulled out of the garage to test drive it would not rev,its blowing grey smoke and running very rich but its not the carb.Ive been over the entire fuel system and ignition system and they are all good so its got to be the valvetrain.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. odins701

odins701

Have you tried leaning it out some? How is the air filter, is it starving for air?

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The 216 is very prone to carb icing. If your heat riser valve is stuck it will run cold. Your weather has been cooler and humid due to the storm off the coast. The symptoms you describe are classic carb icing. Try and get some heat to the base of the carburetor by freeing up the valve in the exhaust manifold. If that is free, let the engine get good and warm before you drive it.

6. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

Yeah I tried leaning it out and its not happeneing.the carb is new rebuilt, I just got it from chevs of the fortys and it is spot on.Its defiantely not starving for air.Ive been over everything fuel wise,igntion wise,,tested dwell,went over the dist wiring,everything is good and doing its job.

7. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

Thanks Old Buzzard ill give this a shot!

8. odins701

odins701

OldBuzzard mat be spot on with carb icing, i wish i was more hepl to you. i see your in my area. i would like to see your car up close some time! :)

9. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

Cool deal man if I get this thing straightened out I am at Jenroes cruise in on saturday nights.

10. chop&drop

chop&drop

I had almost exactly the same thing with a 216 in my pickup. It was the fuel pump. You've said the fuel system is good, but have you checked the pump? Mine would pump enough to idle fine, but that's it.

11. Flop

Flop

i dont kno about carb icing causing that i have 2 carbs on a tattersfield intake ..they ice up in the dead of winter it still runs fine

12. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Flop,

They may get some frost on the outside, but under the right conditions enough ice can form inside to choke them completely off. It may be fuel pump, but usually the lack of fuel won't cause the gray smoke from the exhaust. The "smoke" is dirty steam.

Small planes have carb heat to apply when one gets near the ground in any weather. It is cheap insurance. Carb ice can happen when you least expect it.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't this a classic case of a cracked distributor cap or moisture under the cap? You didn't say whether or not you replaced it, but sounds like you might have given your list of other ignition related things you changed.

14. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

in the carb on acclerator curcut is a check ball most rebuilders dont know where it is or goes i have 2 carb intake on mine an the was the problem on both of mine. 216 also has problems with vavles hangin up in head the valve spring will slow return valve to a closed p[osition

15. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

It wasnt the heat riser guys i just checked it out.I replaced dist cap EBBsspeed ,along with everything else ignition related and checked function.Im lost now I guess im taking off the valve cover next.trmel3 I didnt rebuild the carb its a chevs of the 40s carb and its doin its job correclty.I will have to double check the fuel pump as well.

16. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions,im gonna keep crackin at it.

17. odins701

odins701

i have it in my my airplane. carb icing can occur even in warm temps (on the plane) all is needed is moisture. the ventury effect will quick cool the moisture and create carb ice.

18. Points too close?
    Valves too tight?

19. Road Runner

Road Runner

Connect a vacuum gauge and you should find the problem.
    http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/vac/uum.htm

Have you checked that the vacuum advance is not leaking?

Even though the carburetor was purchased already rebuilt, it may still not work right, as humans are never perfect.
    Disassemble, clean all passages with carb cleaner and reassemble.

Here is the step-by-step guide for the Carter W-1:
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm637.htm

How is the timing?
    How good and tight is the distributor?
    Could be sticking valves. The vacuum gauge should tell you.

20. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

The points are good.Roadrunner thanks I have a Rochester B carb,Dist is tight and I am checking the valves now and will be checking vacuum advance.

21. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Before doing one other thing check any fuel filters and run a delivery check. Remove line from carb and put in to a container,crank engine and see how much fuel is supplied. Should get about a pint in 15 seconds or so. This has all the signs of lack of fuel to me. If it idles smooth that does not take much fuel and is only one circut of the carb. If fuel delivery is OK then the main jet in the carb most likely has shit in it. Just because the carb is new does NOT mean it can not have a problem.

22. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

is it the original fuel pump with the glass bowl or has it been replaced? i had the glass bowl style with the metal screen and it was filthy dirty. it was doin the same thing....idle fine but no-go.

double check the pump and clean out that filter if its the same style.

23. Road Runner

Road Runner

I have tried many Roch Bs over the years, various sizes.
    Only one ever worked alright and didn't leak, because it was NOS.
    Some Roch Bs when rebuilt don't use the correct accelerator pump spring and will flood the intake when you push on the pedal.

I prefer the original Carter W-1 carbs from the 1940s.
    They don't run so rich, don't leak and are easily found and rebuilt.

24. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

i bought my b carbs from a good rebuilder an they didnt put the check valve in on both carbs i know it sounds far fetched but i fixxed mine withsimple steel ball out rebuild kit know mine runs fine i had this same problem with my 2 carb set up

25. Dyce

Dyce

Pull the valve cover and adjust the valves. The exhaust seats could be going away with the unleaded fuel.

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you say the distributor is tight,
    the advance can easily become disconnected
    when working properly it should turn the entire distributor

if there is crap in the fuel line it'll starve
    disconnect it at the pump and blow back into the tank

27. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

its the vaccum advace. Did the same thing on my SBC. Replaced the distributor, and it worked great!