Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BAD EXPERINCE WITH BUBBA'S HOT ROD SHOP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bundybiker, May 15, 2014.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have only dealt with GMC BUBBA once, and it was several years ago. He actually needed something I had, a 3.42 Olds/Pont, open third member. I had never shipped anything weighing as much as this third member, over 90 pounds, and I sent it via Greyhound stuffed into a plastic milk crate (to this day, I think he's probably still cussing me out for how it was all secured-Ha-Ha-Ha). The deal went off without a hitch, money exchanged hands, shipping was paid, and he got the third member he needed, and was satisfied, as was I (imagine both of us having a smoke here). HONEST guy as far as I'm concerned, and he has a business that's REALLY in DEMAND. I can't imagine him not having a hiccup from time to time (especially considering some of the OLD stuff he has to deal with), but to deal with out of the country individuals, is really adding to un-for-seen problems that can crop up; personally, I would't do it!!!. I'm sure "Merlin" (with only 11 posts on this site by the way) will get his parts, and I'm sure anything that happened was't intentional. It also sounds like GMC BUBBA is doing everything/whatever he can to smooth this over and compensate his out of the country customer. How many businesses actually do that? Nuff said (as my Mother used to say). JMO guys.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I’ve not used his services but I’ve been here a while and looks like he does the job well. Older guys here know everything in life takes twice as long and costs a lot more than you figured in the beginning. Communication is the key to a good working relationship.
    Merlin13 nice train pick you sneaked in there

3. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Awesome...thanks (again) Bubba! Will look for the package “next week” and follow-up here when I receive it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I wondered if maybe a typographic or substitution error was made somewhere along the way, between the declared value in Euro vs. USD and back again, but I have no idea what was said either.

5. Hey Jim ....

This brings back some memories ....

About (9) years ago at your old shop on Gasoline Alley.

Sometimes I miss that trailer .....

We are both still Kickin ...

Jim

149029-1263499234-a9e087673b88f3899b9d811898e89793.jpg

file-31 (3).jpeg

kadillackid likes this.
  6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

God i want that T back, If ya find it again i will pay ya to haul it back to me?????

trulyvintage likes this.
  7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Butch ,

There more to the story, first of all i had never seen a olds rear end in a pickle buckut before , and we need to confess why i needed it so bad. We built a really neat little roadster hot rod with olds rear end and a hot chevrolet V8 for a friend of my sons. He picked the car up and drove the hell out of it for a few weeks actually cruising to a show or two etc. My son called me one sat and said we need the car hauler right away as Mikes hot rod just locked up in a housing addition close to where he lives. I went to the shop and grabbed the hauler and went to the car it wouldnt roll at all as the rear axle was locked up!! We poored some water on the steel loading ramps and jerked it on the hauler with the winch. Took the car to the shop and unloaded it using floor jacks etc. One positioned ( same spot as it was built in) the boys had the car in the air and loosened the axles and third member , when the rear end hogs head was loosened all that spilled out was dust !!!!! Then i seen it!!!
    On the shelf above the car was the bottles of rear axle lube that had never been installed!!!!!!!
    ! Thats why i really needed a 59 Olds third member and the hamb once again came thru!!!!!! Thanks again Butch , its still running...

Tim likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I see your point, but as a seller, if there was any communication loss, wouldn't the seller/vender try to clear it up?

Merlin13 likes this.
  9. Merlin13

Merlin13

The situation is: he asked 300 USD + 61 USD shipping = 361 USD at all
    I send him 361 "EURO" = 411 USD
    I don't get the money back I'ved send to much...I let him the money because it is my mistake!
    And now I asked for an Invoice and get this one from PayPal over 411 USD.
    My english is maybe very poor, but I know everybody knows what up.
    There are some people with the same problems, not only from oversea

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Merlin13

Merlin13

I heard a lot off good things of him also...this is the reason because I'm so disapointed and angry (need one year to reach this status)
    If I don't write in this post I'll wait for my stuff 2 years like Christian

uncle buck likes this.
  11. Merlin13

Merlin13

It's not about the money!
    The reason of my anger is that he's not interested in my problems...take the money and do nothing.
    Do you think the stuff comes to my place this week if I don't have wrote in this thread?

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I just sent another invoice , hopefully its correct for all concerns. Now onward to fix "Christain" , Merlins friend with some issue etc , just send me a email and i will get it fixed whatever it is ??
    Actually this thread is good for all of us. Problem with email is its pretty static, ever write a email and regret what you said or didnt really get the point across.?? Email needs to be put on hold until you have had some time to think about what you just did.
    Now hopefully Merlin wont have any problem with his new distributor . Engine will run well, cool and have proper spark advance.

nochop, Nicholas Coe, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I prefer emails because it is there in writing for all to see at any time. No confusing or forgetting what was talked about.

I can attest to Bubba's product being good. I have been using a distributor he rebuilt for me on my sedan for almost ten years now. I don't remember the wait time, but I do know it wasn't too long. But then my distributor was just a simple '42 Ford crab.

As for guys saying to just go use the local distributor rebuilder, I don't have one in the middle of Iowa. I don't know a single guy with a distributor machine around here, let alone one with the experience to set one up for a hot rod. The next time I need a distributor set up I'll just plan on letting Bubba have it for a while.

Stogy likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Problem with email is its pretty static, ever write a email and regret what you said or didn't really get the point across.?? Email needs to be put on hold until you have had some time to think about what you just did.""

A good point..I use the next day send or erase method when an e mail is part of a heated discussion or needs to have good description..When I re-read what I wrote the next day and it still makes sense it gets sent; some times though its not comprehensible even to me so it gets dumped and forgotten or re-written till I'm sure it makes sense and then sent...And to point some people although they can talk well can't write with out it reading like ESL...

Stogy likes this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Moody Blues said it best : "Letters I've written, never meaning to send".:rolleyes:

raven likes this.
  16. 5window

5window

Well, if we'r going for British Bands:

17. uncle buck

uncle buck

Bubba, If there is anything good to be learned here ,it is :

Communication communication communication…

Be up front about turnaround time - and don't assume everyone knows how backed up you are. Don't dangle a carrot in front of the horse to get the work. Guess a little extra time into your estimate. people will be much happier getting their stuff back ahead of schedule than late.

Be realistic with your specialty conversions. They are time consuming but if you agree to do them , set a batch schedule every 1,2, or 3 other months to complete them as promised. Just be up front and don't procrastinate.

We all know you're work is the best , it's your business model that gets these threads going. Unfortunately I agree with Merlin , I think it took this thread to get his distributor back to him and a year is ridiculous on turn around. You are better off turning down some work than getting yourself in this situation , you obviously have enough backlog of work. Keep up the excellent work you do , but please work harder on your business model. Nobody want's to see these threads , especially you.

tubman, Stogy, 5window and 4 others like this.
  18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I AGREE ALL THE WAY .............ITS..........Communication communication communication…

I TRY TO APPLY THE BRAKES AND THE DAMN CAR SPEEDS UP !!!! MUST BE THOSE DAMN LINCOLN BRAKES......

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Done, with 6 volt coil , made a nice one finally ...... IMG_2865.JPG

20. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Received, thanks a ton Bubba!

joeycarpunk likes this.
  21. Merlin13

Merlin13

This is so typical....don't buy from Bubba! You only will be disapointed. Screenshot_20190727-115410.jpeg

Carter and loudbang like this.
  22. 5window

5window

Your screen shot images don't enlarge. No idea what they say. Please try again.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Merlin13

Merlin13

Bubba send me wrong Stuff after 2 Years of waiting...also the coil is wrong. So he told me to buy one here in Germany and he will pay for it with PayPal.
    But he don't
    I'll find a solution for this shit. USA is not so far away for me

Carter likes this.
  24. Merlin13

Merlin13

Stogy likes this.
  25. Merlin13

Merlin13

Stogy likes this.
  26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Merlin, I hope you get this all straightened out to your satisfaction, soon. mAnd I hope Bubba gets things back on an even keel with his business before it falls apart.

Merlin13 and alanp561 like this.