Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad business?? Or is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick bastard, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

I have been lurking here and reading threads for a while and admire alot of intelligence on here so I thought I would come to you guys for insight.

I have a car that I have been hanging onto for a while with alot of sentimental value. I outsourced to a hotrod/custom shop for a build on this car. I went to a respected and reputable shop and felt good about it......at first.
    The first stage was to have a frame built from scratch. I had to put down a deposit up front to get the project rolling so I put down the $2,000 required.
    The quoted price for the frame was 5,300-5,500.
    I was told it would be about a month until it was ready to be picked up.
    During the wait time I was called and asked for another $1,000. I paid it and kept waiting for more progress. Time passed and the due date was long gone, I made a trip to the shop to see progress( I live two hours from them).
    I got there and looked and no progress had been made. So at his point I had paid 2 grand to get started and get it roughed out. I was sent pics of it and then charged another 1000 for additional work. But now I'm looking at it and nothing additional has been done?
    Months pass and I am asked again for 2600 more dollars.
    This would mean I am into it 5600 and still not done and already more than the agreed price. Still NOTHING has changed with the frame. I argued with the shop for a bit and got alot of excuses about how they made a mistake. Next they try to bill me almost 500 bucks for materials and all it is made of is 2x3 tube.
    At the rate we were going I would have been into a basic frame for almost 10,000. The next step on my frame was to drill the front frame rails with speed holes. They told me I had to give the hundreds more dollars to buy the hole saws to drill the holes. None of this was spoken of the day we made the deal. I feel I shouldn't have to buy them the tools to do the job. When I asked if I would get the hole saws back when the project was done since I bought them they said no that they were going in the trash.
    I went to the roundup last year and saw this dealer selling the same frame for same car as a package for 4500. The only difference in mine was some holes drilled and I can't see how that's worth another grand.

Now it's a year later I am 3000 into it and still being asked what I want to do and I honestly don't think I want it anymore. I normally build my own cars and I was working on a chassis today I am building. I feel it is even nicer than the one I was having built. So my question is am I wrong for just abandoning the project and building it myself or should I give them what I agreed to in the first place and see what that actually gets me? As i said this is a reputable shop and I'd like to be a reputable enthusiast. I don't wanna piss people off

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

THat sucks, sounds like your paying for materials for other projects in the shop.

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Shop had their chance. They F$&@ed up. Get a refund and build yourself. What are you building? There is so much available online these days that you don't need a shop.
    Not to mention it helps you understand your car more if you do a lot of work yourself. I'm sure Texas has lots of boys willing to help ya out.
    Or, move to so cal and we can help ya ;)

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

5. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Your Definitly have way more patience than me

6. txturbo

txturbo

I'm from Victoria...but now live in Rosenberg. That sounds like a certain person that I have had some dealings with.....who is it?

7. metal man

metal man

Without hearing both sides of the story, it sounds like they are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

8. turn up and take what you've already paid for, then build the rest yourself.

9. lawman

lawman

I don't think it is you !!!!!! Get anything back that you can and THEN post
    the name of these BUM's on this site so someone else won't get taken !!!
    Just my 2cent's

10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

and this is why I don't source out to ANYONE.. Just don't know what kind of people you are dealing with now a days.. Pretty darn sad that this is what it has come to. I know there are some good shops out there but damn it shouldn't have to be a crap shot to find the right one.... Just my 2 cents..... I do feel for you.....

11. belair

belair

Put the shovel down-you can't dig your way out of a hole. Don't give them another dime, another second, or another chance. At this point, I wouldn't trust them with anymore money, and I wouldn't trust them to build me safe frame. Go get your money back, get a lawyer, contact the Attorney General's office, etc. These guys need kick in the cookies.

12. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

man u should be walking bow legged by now ,if u get my drift.

13. this is a big problem on everything, painting a car, roofing your house, whatever...i never understood why you would tell a man you would do somthing and not do it. if you don't want to do the job, don't take it on. if your too busy, don't take it on. i think these guys get all exited about the money, but, then it turns out they have to earn it.

14. Run don't walk away far far way. Once it atarts to go bad it doesn't get any better. Take your car if you can get it.

15. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

I agree with y'all that I should get a refund or pick up the unfinished product to have SOMETHING to show. However, the shop said there is no way of getting a refund as it is their policy to never refund. Also they said I can only pick it up if I pay the remainder of the low end of the quote. That's another 2300. Sad thing is the builder is so talented and from other stuff I have seen from him this just seems out of character.

16. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

Who is the person you are thinking? I'll tell you if it's them.

17. I would be informing them that you are going to talk to a lawyer.

18. txturbo

txturbo

The last one I dealt with...his name was Rudy.

19. Gator

Gator

Of course you have a signed contract agreeing what work will be done, when, and for how much, right?

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

After a year, I can't believe you have not gotten out yet. Why would you wait so long? Am I the only one who runs, when I feel the "tip" going in? Really. How deep does "it" have to go in before you think you're screwed? Hell, when I THINK the vaselines coming out, I'm already at the door.

21. Slick bastard

Slick bastard

I know who you are talking about and I have heard alot of stories. Even have my own. He is from Victoria though. The shop I am talking about is in Austin

22. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Horrible way to do business. Depending on the job, I either take zero down or a deposit towards materials. Any work is paid in arrears. Depending on the job, I bill weekly, bi weekly or on completion.

Find another shop thats reputable

23. txturbo

txturbo

I just don't let anyone work on my stuff anymore....unless its just a small part....like build a driveshaft or a radiator.

24. txturbo

txturbo

Oh ok....I thought it was in Victoria. Yeah....Rudy is a nice guy....but don't believe a word he says when it comes to a business deal.

25. belair

belair

Why are you letting this bum TELL you how this is going to go down? IF you have any kind of a contract, it's time to ram it home. If not, out him. At least you'll get a little satisfaction. (You do know you are being screwed, even as we read and write this, don't you?)

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is the shop a hamber?

27. ...sounds like you needed to do more research on this "reputable" shop.
    ...and who throws out tools after one use?...
    hope it works out for ya, let us know.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  28. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

sounds to me like super star jesse is still screwing people just like he's been doing for years.

29. I imagine they throw out the "old" and "used Tools" (right into the back seat of the car to take to their "home shop") heck why buy your own when you can have your customers supply them for at home even if you don't use them at work first ....

I buy my own tools and when one gets used up or destroyed on the job then the customer buys the replacement , only fair , but I buy it first (and usually don't bill them for the replacement or at least split it with them)

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"I buy my own tools and when one gets used up or destroyed on the job then the customer buys the replacement , only fair , but I buy it first (and usually don't bill them for the replacement or at least split it with them)"

Why should a customer pay for a tool that you broke?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.