Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad bearings from Kanter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cad Carver, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Cad Carver

Cad Carver
    from Tucson,AZ

I just spent $180 on wheel bearings from Kanter. I checked em out tonight and only one was good. I tried calling tonight but they were closed already. I'm sure they will replace them, but it still pisses me off. Has anyone else had problems with Kanter or mail order in general?

Hey, shit happens right?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

The best place for bearings is usually your local bearing supply.

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i've usually had good luck with kanter.a lot of the stuff is NOS though,did they get rusty from sitting around?

4. Cad Carver

Cad Carver
    from Tucson,AZ

[ QUOTE ]
    i've usually had good luck with kanter.a lot of the stuff is NOS though,did they get rusty from sitting around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rust was one problem, but the flattened balls have confused me a bit. As to the local bearings, everything was special order and ended up at about $120 a wheel.

5. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

watch e-bay, it's a great place to find nos bearings

6. du$ty

du$ty

ebay...its also a great place to find muffler bearings. [​IMG]

7. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

While Kanter is often the only place to find some items they are also known for selling South American and Asian knock-offs.
    Look closely at the info stamped on them, the real ones have both the mfg and a number.

8. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

[ QUOTE ]
    ...ended up at about $120 a wheel...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shit, that's cheap! The original ball style bearings for a 59-60 Buick are $85 x4, (2 inner and 2outer) plus $35 each for the rear grease seals. And the cages are PLASTIC!!

Find a newer style hub that'll fit your car. I put some hubs from a 65 electra on my car, and the bearings are $18 outer and $22 innner now.

9. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Cad What are they for? Do you have part numbers on the old ones? There's a couple of real good bearing places here in phoenix as well as the local NAPA warehouse. If you give me the numbers or application I'll see what I can find. send an email to [email protected]

Mark

10. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i lucked out big time. the "wolf's head oil" decal on the inside driver's door of my pontiac said the wheel bearings were either checked or replaced 2000 miles before it was parked, so mine were perfect. i did buy brake parts and suspension parts from them. the brake parts were RUSHED to me for regular shipping amounts via fed ex and got to me in like 3 days. pretty cool of them. i have heard mixed things about kanters though. let us know how it turns out.

11. Cad Carver

Cad Carver
    from Tucson,AZ

[ QUOTE ]
    i lucked out big time. the "wolf's head oil" decal on the inside driver's door of my pontiac said the wheel bearings were either checked or replaced 2000 miles before it was parked, so mine were perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I had the exact opposite; brakes were/are brand new and the bearings were destroyed. Most of the previous owner's money went into the engine; fuel pump was brand new, one cylinder was resleeved and the whole engine was repainted. Even after the rats it in pretty good shape. BTW 1959 Caddy

12. 331caddy

331caddy

haha there is your problem with prices and not bein able to find parts cadillacs are fucking expensive but god do i love em