Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Couple reasons for that. I left all the rubber bushings in all the spring eyes. Also you have to remember there are no heim joints in the suspension. I have to leave everything loose enough to work without binding. Sitting still it's pretty straight. Under power... not so much.

You have to drive it all the way down the track. Fortunately for me the car knows the way...

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. catdad49

catdad49

Motor City Mad Men!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  3. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Bad Banana is finally in its new home. Loving the weather here so far. It was 65 degrees this afternoon. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice! looks like space to me. :)

loudbang likes this.
  5. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

It was 6.5 here!!!! Oh wait, that's how much snow fell by noon!!! And it's still snowing!
    Michigan is calling!

IMG_20180210_0029433.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. glrbird

glrbird

Welcome to the South, first thing is invest in some large Fans and an Icebox for cold drinks and water. Was the garage the DEAL MAKER on living arrangements?

Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I must have missed it. Where did you move to?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I have a fridge and it's air conditioned. yes.. the location for the job was perfect. House was good enough. Shop is awesome.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  9. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Oklahoma

loudbang likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Finally getting a few minutes to work on the car. It's been a hectic few months. Some maintenance and a few changes. One thing I'll share is I finally got rid of the braided stainless fuel lines and blue/red fittings. I have wanted to change that but too many other things were higher priority. Finally finished that up today.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Glad to see you're settled in and getting the "Banana" ready to wreak havoc!

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ Interesting name/handle on this "55 Chevrolet Bad Banana" thread ^^^^^. There used to be a 55 Chevrolet called "Hang 'em High" up here in the Pacific Northwest. I "think" it was out of Oregon. I don't remember if it was a Gas Class car or an Altered Class one. 55 Chevrolet hardtop or convertible body WITHOUT a roof. Small windscreen for the driver, full tonneau cover, and an old style rollbar/cage. Car was purple, and I believe it had a 426 stack injected Hemi. I tried to find a photo on the net, but did find a neat site, pinterest.com/johnjaythishew/hang-em-high/; LOTS of old drag cars, even some HAMBER owned. Cool little Ranchero by the way; I had a 63 at one time. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Looking good Rusty - can I ask what are your thoughts on the gas cap vent? I had developed an odd bog after the launch last season and wondered if the gas cap vent hole is big enough. You don't seem to be having any issues ?

16. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

The cap vent is plugged. My vent is the second fitting on the top of the tank from the driver's side. It is a 3/8 hose that runs down under the tank and points toward the ground. It needs to be like that just in case the car gets upside down. If you have a simple hole in the top of the tank, fuel can just run out if the tank gets flipped over. It has a plug in it in the one pic with a yellow flag so I remember to take it out before I run. I keep it plugged when not racing to prevent dirt and evaporation.

17. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

This may seem like a really dumb question. Are you using a mechanical fuel pump?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Yes.. its a belt driven pump off the crank. It's mounted lower than the tank so it self primes pretty good.

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  19. vent.jpg View attachment 3826838
    Ok - this was something I changed mid season . Might be too restricted. Trying to win the traditional trophy :confused:
    View attachment 3826837

20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Looks big enough in the picture. Just look to see everything is open. I don't think venting is causing your bog. If you think about it, most fuel at idle is returning to the tank. So when you first go wide open, even if the vent was plugged you would be ok. It would run out of fuel down track.

Sounds lean or timing slipped.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's the "Hangin High" altered from Eugene Oregon, watched it many times at
    Woodburn Drag Strip, when I saw it run it had a big block Chevy with an Enderle injector hat on a tunnel ram base.
    Looks like this might be at Seattle Butch.

[​IMG]

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ YES !!! That's definitely it! And that is Seattle; when it was still called Seattle International Raceway during the time Jim Rockstad leased/ran the track. Now it's back in the hands of the family that originally built the track, and now it's called Pacific Raceways again. I say again, but they originally called the track Kent Pacific Raceways. I think that white 55 Chevrolet Wagon in the background, is the Canadian owned Casper Gasser; car still races, but with more modern suspension. I was slightly off on the name of the Altered; I said Hang 'em High, and I see it says Hangin' High. Thanks for posting that photo; was it from the net or your own collection?. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  23. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

Thanks Butch! The name just seems appropriate for a gasser, especially a Southeast Gasser! That '55 Altered is awesome!

Tony better look out, Rusty is on the hunt for that "Most Traditional" trophy!

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Found this online don't know if you have it yet.

1 bad banana.........JPG

25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Then you probably have this one too :rolleyes: Been finding them on a lot of sites that just have photos of cars.

banana.JPG

enloe and Fiddle Picker like this.
  27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

enloe, Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  28. If you are throwing out pictures of 55 at Woodburn, here's another one. Grandpa's name on the window, but looks like my uncle driving it. 20180623_164536.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

In case anyone is interested. I am working on a website besides what I have on Facebook.

www.badbanana.us
    This ^^^ is the link;):D

Spoggie, powrshftr, enloe and 5 others like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

New site looks good. :)

enloe, Fiddle Picker and Hang'emHigh like this.