Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bad ass cut on a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Pete

Pete

image.jpeg Oh yea, that how a chop should be done! I always wondered hot people could justify a 1-1/2" chop.... Why bother.

love it!!! Here's mine 6-1/2"

Jet96, 117harv, texkbc and 6 others like this.
  2. Pete

Pete

image.png Side view, model A's need to be chopped!

Jet96, 117harv, texkbc and 5 others like this.
  3. OP Chop looks fine to me. Says Hot Rod, not "I was too afraid to cut more that 2"

Muttley likes this.
  4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Re the Hilton build with sedan doors, this is it. The one posted above by Din64 is mine, standard doors and 4.5" chop.

coupe.jpg

Jet96, texkbc, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  5. LOL tell me what it was I didn't promise anything to anyone. :D

Moriarity likes this.
  6. You know I'm also digging the chop!

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Hope you don't mind me posting it Paul.

8. I actually like it well enough. My old neck aint what it used to be but that don't keep me from likin' it well enough. Actually I like the mail slot in the back, too many builders these days go to a lot of trouble to keep the back glass bigger and I have always liked them squashed. ;)

kiwijeff and birdog like this.
  9. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Hell no Dino. Post it away.........

Guess what . This the 100th Post !!!

10. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

Hitchhiker and Jet96 like this.
  11. [QUOTE="porknbeaner, post: 11434497, member: 1613" Actually I like the mail slot in the back, too many builders these days go to a lot of trouble to keep the back glass bigger and I have always liked them squashed. ;)[/QUOTE]

That's refreshing, cause I always did, but after being around here for awhile, I'd almost believed they looked better, bigger.
    I guess some cars do, but late twenties, early thirty Ford's look great to me with mailslot rear Windows.

scrap metal 48 likes this.

12. The style these days is to try and keep the back glass larger for safety reasons. Usually they chop 5 and take 1 or 2 out of the back glass, makes a chop more difficult and it certainly improves visibility. I just grew up around cars with a mail slot so it just looked right to me. I could see a problem with a mega chop, I think if your back light is 8" and you chop 7" it becomes a problem. :D You need enough of a hole to let light in.

I still remember the first chop I did. About 45 or so years ago now. We took about 4 out of an A coupe, used a skill saw with the blade turned around backward and a hack saw and brazed it back together. First off the kids dad wouldn't let us work in the driveway so we worked in the street. Then the kids dad came out and said, "You won't be able to see out the back!!!" He just said, "Good then I won't need a rearview mirror." I remember thinking to myself, "Phttttt :p he won't be able to see out the front either." :) We lived in a different world back then, chit was simple and we played hard at simple chit. ;)

That is what metal shapes did on this one you sit on the bottom of the frame rails, but he uni-bodied it too. Dobn't know if you have met Alex but he is one long drink of water. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Jet96 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. 53 ford

53 ford

Across the river is Hogskin county. They only have one traffic light in the whole county (in Hampton). If you top choppers are having trouble seeing you can always move to the sand hills. We need some radical hot rodders. You will have a lot of new friends, they will all want to go for a ride. I know. Harley

14. mountainman2

mountainman2

In your area, I would be more worried about not being able to see the "Crossest Light" than any old traffic light. :eek:

15. Saint Elmo's Fire or Witch Fire. There was an area that I worked in in Mexico that it was real common, the locals thought it was a sign of about anything that they may have ever been afraid of or ever wanted to do in their entire life. :D

The deal with a mega chop is that it is a young man's game, you need to be able to crane your neck around a lot and once you get a little long in the tooth is gets a little bit hard to do. its like hardtail frames on bikes, when you are young its no biggy , coast to coast is nothing, a few years down the road it is a different story. Young man's game enjoy it, you get one life, live it for all its worth. ;)

Rich B. and kiwijeff like this.