Register now to get rid of these ads!

Backup Pickup Wheelstander

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DAVE SHUTEN, Jul 27, 2013.

1. DAVE SHUTEN

DAVE SHUTEN

I'm currently building a replica of the Backup Pickup Wheelstander...To replace the original that was wrecked ant destroyed... Was wondering if there were any old pictures floating around out there in HAMB land? I'll try to post build pics soon...

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The last couple of days my buddy Jim Chapman (wetspeed here on the H.A.M.B.) has been sharing a whole bunch of wheelstander photos on facebook from a sight out there somewhere. The backup pickup was one of those that tripped my brain switch and made me think "I haven't thought of that in years". If he posts anymore I'll certainly grab the web sight name and post it here for you.

3. kursplat

kursplat

4. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,Do you have the NHRA Wheelstander supplement rule guide.And since you ar building a replica do you have the blessing of the original owner,driver /family?

5. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Hollie Swindles Original Back-up Pickup. He originally ran it on the street, had a 427 Ford in the bed and it went frontwards. We raced him down West Florissant past the cop shop during shift change one night. The he gets this idea to turn it all around backwards. We thought he was nuts, but he made a wheelstander out of it, got a sponsorship from Crager and ran it for years. Sadly, he passed away several years ago.

6. DAVE SHUTEN

DAVE SHUTEN

7. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello once again,let me ask another way.Are you building a 150mph wheelstander or just a truck that looks like the Backup Pickup?
    Chris

8. DAVE SHUTEN

DAVE SHUTEN

I am building a functional replica... as it was built in 1965 ... I don't care about todays rules etc. And yes... I have "permission"

9. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,you say that you do not care about your safety and rules,shame.I happen to know a thing or two about building one of these things.I was just trying to gauge your sincerity about building a REAL functional,race car,Too many people with good intentions say that all there is to building one is motor in back with a v drive and have actually know idea what so ever.I just thought that I could have help with any ,chassis,drive train,braking system,NHRA licensing,chassis cert questions,etc.... but since you do not car about any of that nonsense,never mind.
    Chris.

10. I imagine Dave means he's not interested in building a vehicle that has to meet all of the current rules and regulations, he'd rather build an EXACT replica of how it looked in '65.

I don't see a problem with that.

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Deja vu.

The elitist approach bombs again. Go figure.

12. oldolds

oldolds

I guess if you want something to drive around the parking lot at the drag strip, you don't have to follow any safety rules. It will be hard to build a wheelstander slow enough to not need any safety stuff.

13. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I know you've seen this one, but I thought I would post it anyway. one of my favorite shots of it.
    [​IMG]

14. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

By the way, Dave's replica is already finished and looks awesome!

15. And I'll be the first to apologize for all the guys who felt some weird need to take a shit on this cool thread about a cool truck with OT comments... It's YOUR truck, sounds very cool, and we love pictures. Hope all the negativity hasn't chased you off. If it's finished we NEED to see it finished. Pretty sure I built the model of that truck when I was a kid. Pics please...

16. I apologize for all the apologizes,,all this correct spelling,hypocritical and political correctness is getting old,everybody is entitled to their opinion even if it doesn't jive with yours,at least that's the way it use to be on the Hamb!

Where are the tyrannical rants of Germ when we need him?:rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Correction: "Today I are one".

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Pictures?

19. I saw a magazine on the rack at Fleet Farm the other day.............

"Hot Rod", I think that was the name of it???:rolleyes:

I'm now going to coin the term "HAMBoozled". It fits this, and so many other "cut-short" threads.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dave,
    Please give us an update! :)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

21. Yes, this truck is in the new HOT ROD magazine with build photo's.

22. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Here's a couple of pics of the Backup Pickup vs. the Little Red Wagon that I took on July 16, 1967 at National Trail Raceway. Used a Kodak Brownie camera!

Attached Files:

23. Fenders

Fenders

March 2014 page 106.
    And it's not a race car, it's an exhibition car.

Nice build !!

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

That would've been nice.

I let my sub to Hot Rod lapse when it became a joke.

25. If you've got an iPad, download Zinio Reader and subscribe to the online version. Never miss an issue that way. :)

26. jpm49c

jpm49c

The copy of the original was on display at Barrett Jackson last weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  27. DAVE SHUTEN

DAVE SHUTEN

Well, to be honest... These type of responses are the reason I rarely visit the HAMB, It's sad to me that a site this cool always goes to the negative and people want to bash everything. I build what I want for ME... I really don't want / need anyone's approval. I just build cars. It's worked out pretty good for me this far...

afaulk likes this.
  28. Couldn't agree more! F&*K em all! Good to hear you're still sucking air Dave.

29. Thanks for your efforts Dave! Please post more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!