Register now to get rid of these ads!

Backfire Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dapirate, Dec 7, 2013.

1. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Sprayed carb cleaner around the intake while running, no change in idle

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. A flat cam lobes it will give you lower compression on those cylinders and bad vacuum gauge readings.

If you have an intake gasket leak on the underside of the manifold, its nearly impossible to detect with carb cleaner spray down. The spray down helps detect vacuum leaks on top. To determine an underside manifold leak, you first need to diagnose a vacuum leak and exhaust every possible elimination of the sources and then its a "diagnosis of exclusion" which means there's nothing else it can be.

Have you tried a vacuum gauge and or service tachometer to watch while you are pulling plug wires. What the vacuum needle do?

The fact that you say both that "it runs good" and that pulling those plug wires of those 4 cylinders has no change really stops the flow chart dead. One of them must be a false statement.

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A flat lobe makes sense with the bent pushrod. That or incorrect guide plates

4. 24riverview

24riverview

Factory or dual plane aftermarket intake? If so I'd say you have a vacuum or carb issue, the 4 cylinders listed (1,7,4,6) are all fed off one side of the intake on those. I'd say you have something causing a lean condition on that side, may not explain some of the other issues but that stuck out to me.

5. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the pcv on the carb. But not while pulling the wires. I can also try that tomorrow. What should the vacuum gauge read?

The intake is an edelbrock air gap.

6. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

check for a worn lobe on the cam. This will NOT show up by a compression test, and these engines are known for this type of problem.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Heard this before but I've run around with blown or no collector gaskets many times with no backfiring.

8. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

If its run ok otherwise a rich condition with any small exhaust leak will do this every time

9. kkinderknecht

kkinderknecht

If the problem started after new plugs and wires I would find TDC on #1 and check rotor position. Pertronix can change timing when you install also. I would double check plug wire placement firing order 18436572 with odd cylinders on drivers side evens on passenger side. Don't forget to check power valve in holley with all the backfires.

10. The test for a worn cam lobe is running or dynamic compression test. Here's a very brief description if you want a little info http://student.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/CompressionTesting.htm

The symptom shows up as " restricted intake or restricted exhaust" in that cylinder. It's up to you to determine if there is an actual restriction of carbon build up, mouse nest, mud daubers, potatoes in tailpipes or flat cam lobe.

A running compression test and a static cranking compression test will show different things. Cylinder sealing versus cylinder breathing. But if you don't believe me, next time you are doing a cranking compression test and have a good baseline back off one of the rockers so it decreases the valve lift and simulate a lobe going flat and re do that cylinder cranking compression test. It will be lower. Up to you to notice it though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

120 lbs. compression sounds like your test may have been done cold. A proper compression test is done on a warmed up engine. Fouling plugs can cause the backfire, or be the result of a weak ignition that fouls plugs and causes a backfire.
    I'd be checking each plug wire to ensure you're getting a good hot spark to the plugs, and replace the plugs too. Sounds like you may possibly have a weak ignition coil, or bad ground.

12. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

On the compression test it was done on a warm engine.
    Vacuum readings look good compared to whats on the chart in the link.

I changed the cap and rotor and still have the backfire.
    Now looking at 24riverview's comments, after replacing the intake, the dizzy was off and I had several wicked backfires out of the carb before I got the timing right. Is it possible the left side of the carb (1,4,6,7) or intake was damaged from those backfires, giving me the problem I have now?

Should I try to find another carb and replace it?

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

with it running, put a heat gun on each exhaust port at header/manifold--will tell if cylinder is firing or not. 1 and 7 on dr side-4 and 6 on pass side. 4 and 6 intake ports are close-1 and 7 are not.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  14. kkinderknecht

kkinderknecht

Power valve can easily be damaged from backfires through carb.

15. sport fury

sport fury

could be a faulty petronox ignition. could be shorting out. if it were to short out it would be like closing the points on a points distributor. i have heard of condensers shorting out and causing backfire. think of what would happen if spark occurred in a cylinder that was not ready for ignition.

16. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Dude, pushrods just dont bend. Before you start getting parts (carb, etc), you need to see why that happened first.

Pull off the valve cover & see how much the rocker moves on the bent pushrod position. You may want to check the new pushrod just to make sure it didn't bend

17. Sticky valve is the most likely and common cause. However a valve stuck enough to bend a pushrod usually stays stuck. Maybe not but ....

Floating valves and kissing pistons is another but valves bend with the pushrod and bent valves give low compression. Maybe it didnt bend the valve but I'd think there'd be more than just one pushrod bent.

Backfire from crossed wires can bend pushrods if conditions and positions are just right.

They can bend from fatigue too.

18. caton462

caton462

Pull the valve cover and see if the exhaust spring is broken near an end coil. This could give a good compression test, but, float the valve when some RPM is built up.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Anyone have an explanation for this phenomena?

20. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Make sure the vacuum line to the distributor is on the correct side of the carb, driver's side I think. I had something similar going on once before that did not make sense and that fixed it.

21. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

I have not checked for a broken spring yet, let me check the springs.
    I had the backfire before the pertronix was installed.

Heat gun on the header? heat gun or one of those infrared thermometers?

New pushrod did not bend

Would a damaged power valve give me a backfire out of the exhaust? Are they easily damaged on Edel carbs?

22. tnich123

tnich123

First thing you need is a piece of paper and pen. Write down when you noticed the problem then list the what you had changed to create the problem. Sounds like you are chasing your tail and throwing parts at it. Go back to the basics most of which have been listed here. To change the intake you had to remove the distributor. You havent said anything about the timing?
    If you write down your info as you do your test you will be more likely to see whats going on. Take the info you have been given here and list your results of each. I am betting you will find your problem if not you will be able to give good info for others to help diagnois your problem.

23. water in fuel

24. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

I was using the wrong vacuum port on the carb, Thanks KeithDyer, but still receiving backfire.
    No Broken springs

Yes I changed the intake and initially had timing issues, got the timing set at 36 degrees at 3k rpms.

I'm thinking the problem is something simple that I'm overlooking, but I'm still stumped.

25. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Even thought it was backfiring before the pertronix ignitor I still have the factory coil, is a high voltage coil necessary with ignitor?

26. The 1,4,6,7 problem needs to be corrected.
    Wicked backfire thru the carb MAY damage a carb beyond repair but is almost always cause for a clean & rebuild. A few pops or coughs thru the carb is different than a wicked backfire.

These earlier backfires thru the carb is new information.
    I'd like to here it running with this 1,4,6,7 problem.

27. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

28. Neat ride !

Now the sound quality on that may not be good on my end, it sounds like its running well enough to certainly have some change if 1-4-6 or 7 were canceled. In others words it doesn't appear to be running with those cylinders dead. It is deductive reasoning of IF - THEN only that leads to the conclusion - if the cylinder is canceled THEN no change is detected that cylinder must be doing nothing. Observational evidence says if 1-4-6-7 are doing nothing (dead) it won't run.

I see it running
    Gotta scratch my head for a while

29. dapirate

dapirate
    from Alpharetta

Thanks

the headers out of those cylinders are very hot to the touch which makes me think the cylinder is working but as I said I pull a plug and no change in RPMs